German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our boy is now 1yr and about three months old and he's only at 81lbs. He's been around that weight now for probably close to 6 months. We're just wondering if this is a normal plateau or if maybe we should switch him to a higher protein diet to help him gain some more weight?

We're feeding him Acana Pacifica right now.

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
Why does he need to gain? His weight sounds normal. If he is muscled and a rib or two show, then he is perfect! If you think you need to get weight on him, then probiotics and digestive enzymes may help as well as bumping up his meal portions.

My dog plateau'd around 8 months and then gained about 3# over the next couple yrs. He topped out at 93# and 27".
These were taken last Saturday:

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
We're just wondering if this is a normal plateau or if maybe we should switch him to a higher protein diet to help him gain some more weight?
Is he fit? Can you lightly rub your hands on his sides and feel his ribs? IF you can - he's at a good weight.

If you can SEE every one of his ribs - he needs more weight.

If you can't EASILY feel his ribs - he needs to lose weight.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Our boy is now 1yr and about three months old and he's only at 81lbs.
Only 81 pounds? That's a big dog! GSDs are not supposed to be 100+ lb dogs :) he sounds like a good size and as long as he's not underweight by look or feel, then he doesn't need to gain more weight. My dog was also his adult weight by about 6-7 months old, and at 7 1/2 years old he's still 68-70 lbs.

You can post pics from the side and above if you'd like.

·
Registered
27,249 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea it's definitely a healthy weight. We just thought that he would get a littler bigger. We will see other older shepherds and they just look bigger and more filled out.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Yea it's definitely a healthy weight. We just thought that he would get a littler bigger. We will see other older shepherds and they just look bigger and more filled out.
Could they be fat? A lot of people have overweight dogs, it's sad. A nice healthy weight, whether it's 60 or 80 pounds, is so much more attractive than a dog that is overweight.

Also, your dog is pretty young still and may "fill out" as he gets older. He might now weigh too much more, but his body shape may change and look more mature.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
The overwhelming majority of 100 lb shepherds I see are overweight. This also tends to make them look less "puppy" ish because they tend to also accumulate fat on their necks. If he's a healthy weight, don't try and bulk him up. He'll lose the lanky teenage phase soon enough... his face will mature, etc. 80 lbs is not small. Also, many dogs tend to weigh much less than one would guess. I always get "he must be 100 lbs!".... he's 75:)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
My friends brag about their 100lb GSD, but he's a bit chunky! He's a big dog for sure, but he should be 90-95 lbs IMO.

You can't go by other people's dogs. 81 lbs is a big GSD! Not sure what lines your dog is either, but I think working lines tend to be a bit smaller, as they are faster/more agile - which is how they should be!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts