German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am picking up my German Shepherd puppy from my breeder in about three weeks and I am most likely going to be crate training him. So with that in mind I want to buy a crate that will last him until he is fully grown or until I feel he doesnt need the crate anymore. The breeder told me he will most likely be around a 100 lbs. But I am wondering how big your own male GSD is?

Thank You!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
the size of my dog or anyone else's dog doesnt matter. you have
to do what's right for your dog. i got my pup when he was 9 weeks old.
he was in a crate that could house a full grown Great Dan. i didn't
use dividers and everything was fine. i never left my pup longer than
2 hours in his crate without someone coming in to give him a break.

Hey everyone, I am picking up my German Shepherd puppy from my breeder in about three weeks and I am most likely going to be crate training him. So with that in mind I want to buy a crate that will last him until he is fully grown or until I feel he doesnt need the crate anymore. The breeder told me he will most likely be around a 100 lbs.

>>>>> But I am wondering how big your own male GSD is?<<<<<

Thank You!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
My boys crate is ridiculously big. It will fit a dog 120+ pounds. It came with a divider. He's had it since he was a pup.

Rusty is 3 years old. West German Showlines. 25" & 75 pounds.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I have a very large crate with a divider.

My male is 85 pounds, he's 4 years old.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
My male WGSL is 69 lbs right now because we have been doing a LOT of training for agility and he is running in flyball nationals next month. His "show weight" is more like 75lbs. He is 24.5". Correct size and proportions for the breed as per his breed survey.

His crate in the van is 42". He used to have a 36" in the van but now that we are traveing more for flyball tournaments and other events, I bumped him up to a more comfortable size, however he would be fine in a 36".

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
That would definitely be out of standard for a GSD. Crate size would eventually be XL or Giant.

I have a West German Show Line male (3.5yrs old), and depending on the time of year he's 80-85lbs. Never above and the lowest he's been was 76lbs.

The crate we have for him (and my other two) are 48" plastic crates. As a puppy though, all my pups had wire crates with separators (wire barriers), so that they could "grow" into them. When they were tiny, I gave they just enough room to sleep comfortably, but not big enough to potty on one corner and sleep in the next (makes potty training SUPER difficult if you give them too much room). Once they reach about 1-2, I move them to the Giant plastic crates.... more room, and during our longer hours at work, they can get a little more comfortable. At that age, potty shouldn't be an issue, so they can have a little extra space.

(Our wire crates are 42", with the divider to change the size as needed)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
My one year old male weighs 70 pounds. He has a 42 in crate, came with a divider that I used while he was smaller.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts