German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
These are what Athena got checked for. A little pricey, but worth it for peace of mind.
Would you mind sharing a ballpark price for this? I asked my vet about doing one, but he said it was expensive and sometimes gave false positives. I appreciate his concern (especially since my husband isn’t taking these diagnostic expenses very well), but I’d love a definitive answer as to what the problem is.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Do me a favor if you don't mind and post Beau's symptoms over on the Epi4Dogs forum please. It's interesting that he's responding to the enzymes and the weight loss is concerning. Include what testing was done so far and results. Was he fasted for the TLI test?
I have a thread over there called “Waiting on Test Results” that I started when we did the blood draw for the test. He was fasted for the test, but I read an article over on the EPI forum that seems to suggest it’s possible for a dog to be lacking a particular enzyme while other enzymes are being produced normally. I also read a chapter in a textbook about the human pancreas which says it’s possible for that to be the case in children, so maybe that’s what’s going on with Beau?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Would you mind sharing a ballpark price for this? I asked my vet about doing one, but he said it was expensive and sometimes gave false positives. I appreciate his concern (especially since my husband isn’t taking these diagnostic expenses very well), but I’d love a definitive answer as to what the problem is.
The test cost us $245. It was well worth the money for us.

When we adopted Athena back in July, the medical records the shelter got from Athena’s prior vet in Texas showed she had Parvo as a pup; stool sample at our first vet visit showed Giardia; now Clostridium.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I started keeping a log of Beau’s bathroom habits (hope no one ever goes through my phone 😬) and started giving Beau enzymes again after my last update here. I think the improvement must have been coincidental, because after two weeks I was not able to see consistent improvement with the diarrhea. Occasionally he would have an almost normal poop, then go back to diarrhea. So I stopped the enzymes a few days ago and the only change I’ve noticed is that he might be a little more gassy without them.

The ultrasound didn’t show anything obvious per his vet’s report: “The radiologist did not see any evidence of intestinal tumors or severe disease on Beau's ultrasound. His pancreas appeared normal. His small intestines had a few segments that were questionable for either an inflammatory process (more likely) or a neoplastic process (far less likely given his age). Dr. Schultz did see a few of Beau's lymph nodes that filter drainage from his intestines that were mildly enlarged. This means that the lymph nodes were reacting to something, such as an infection, IBD, or a different pathogen from the intestines. The remainder of his ultrasound were all unremarkable and within normal limits.

Overall this adds more support for Beau having IBD, though the most definitive and sensitive way of diagnosing it for sure would be full thickness intestinal biopsies which would require abdominal surgery. I would recommend waiting until he sees the internist before considering this option.”

He vomited yesterday and was lethargic, but seems to have bounced back today. He’s still very thin, but I think his weight loss might have stabilized. He has an appointment with an internist this Sunday, so I’m hoping to get some more definitive answers then. I don’t really like the idea of doing abdominal surgery - he’s very active and would not handle that kind of downtime well.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well, Beau's diarrhea disappeared completely for three days (right before his appointment with the internist, of course). The only thing I changed was not giving him anything at all except his HP food for the previous 7 or 8 days. The internist believes its SID and recommended a 2 to 3 month course of metronidazole combined with visbiome probiotic to reset his gut flora. But that sounds like an awful lot of metronidazole and I've heard/read a lot of bad things about metronidazole. Plus, it sounds really extreme to essentially nuke his gut flora an then try to rebuild it with a probiotic. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Beau's diarrhea returned this morning, but I'm going to wait and see if it clears up again. As it stands, I haven't even filled the prescription for the metronidazole.

·
Super Moderator
32,802 Posts
I would ask about other options for such a long course of treatment. I’m just not comfortable giving metro for several months. Tylan, sure. Tetracycline, sure. And I’m fine with a normal course of a week or 10 days.

You can definitely use a probiotic during antibiotic treatment, just separate them by a couple of hours.

Reactions: brittanyS

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for sharing this! I knew I read a journal article about it somewhere, but couldn’t remember where. I really like to go to the vet with solid references when I disagree with the advice, so this helps!

Beau’s diarrhea is gone again, so I’m hoping this is behind us. I think it is more likely IBD, but that can’t be proven without taking tissue samples which I won’t do unless he relapsed again.

·
Registered
Asher, Black GSD
21 Posts
Oh wow. Thanks for posting this. I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with our puppy and have been fearing his symptoms are starting to mimic our dog we lost in July from Acute hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis. He died a month after being on metro to try to help his chronic diarrhea. My stomach hurts so bad just thinking now how maybe he had clostridium as mentioned in an above post. I read it can live in the soil. So maybe my new dog has picked this up too being worn down by the giardia he has or had.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts