German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 9 month old boy weighs 62 pounds is this a good size how big should he be he does tend to be on the lengthy side he seems a lil thin for my liking but doc said that's about right how big do u think he will get

·
Super Moderator
32,037 Posts
The German standard for an adult male is approximately 66 pounds to 88 pounds, as converted from kgs. However, not all dogs will fall within the standard. The best indication of how big he will get is based on his parents' weights. Your vet is correct that keeping him lean is best.

·
Registered
160 Posts
my 9 month old boy weighs 62 pounds is this a good size how big should he be he does tend to be on the lengthy side he seems a lil thin for my liking but doc said that's about right how big do u think he will get
Sounds like he will top out at around 70-75lbs once fully filled out past 2yrs of age.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
In general, most mammals that do not hibernate should be lean. As a general rule of thumb with a dog you should be able to see the last two ribs and easily feel the ribs. Being slightly underweight is much less harmful then being overweight.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I think I have a mutant. He just turned 7 months and is 90 pounds and 25" at the withers. I was not expecting this. He is from well bred working lines.
Bud did much the same thing. He outgrew dad by a long shot and was the only "giant" in his family. He was grossly underweight when I got him at 11 months, and I did not push weight gain but by 1.5 years he was 90 or so and topped out at right around 95. I kept him really lean as an adult, which probably only helped his fence vaulting abilities.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's big yea I suppose tho I just thought he was gonna be larger his mom is 105 American bug boned dad is Czech and is about 75 or 80 so I thought he would be a lil larger

·
Registered
744 Posts
Mine was 77 lbs at 7 months old...that was 2 weeks ago. I'm guessing he's over 80 lbs now. His sire is 85 lbs and his dam is 65 lbs. He hasn't slowed down ever since I got him at 8 weeks old (15 lbs). So we'll see when he's fully grown.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts