German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Millie just turned 8 months over a week ago and she just got weighed today and she was only 41.8 lbs... now I always understood she would be smaller than most (she was 7 lbs at 8 weeks) which doesn't bother me but is this normal for this age? Even for a small gsd. She definitely eats a lot, but she's always put on weight very slowly.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Try not to focus on the number on the scale too much. Body condition is more important than actual weight. Can you post pictures of your girl? That would be a better way to tell if her weight is ok.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay that's reassuring thank you:) she was playing with another gsd (same age) at the park the other day and they were same height, but the other girl was 60lbs! I was actually pretty surprised I figured she'd weigh more because it feels like she's grown a lot this past month. But as long as she's healthy I'm happy

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
My 17 month old male is only 65 lbs, if it makes you feel any better. ;)

As long as she doesn't feel too skinny, I wouldn't worry. What does your vet say about her weight? Your girl still has some filling out to do, since she's only 8 months.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She got a check up about a month ago and the vet says she's fine! She's not under weight but she said I could feed her more if I wanted to. She eats two cups in the morning and two cups at dinner time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or I guess to be more specific dry large breed puppy food - Wellness, she was on beneful when we got her so we switched her off that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you tried "green tripe"... Its great for gi problems couple spoonfuls on top of her kibble, smells though... Sounds like you already changed her kibble? I like Royal Canin German Shepard Puppy food if yours don't work, I agree with Gypsee focus on her health and appearance! Lean is good!! not too lean. She'll be fine :)...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes when we got her at 8 weeks we switched her off beneful, I'm not sure if she does super well on Wellness, it does seem like every other month we have at least a week of the very loose stool to diarrhea and a day or two of vomiting (yellow liquid). We've talked to her vet about this and she's done tests but no reason or cause for the upset tummy. Other than that she seems perfectly fine!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yes when we got her at 8 weeks we switched her off beneful, I'm not sure if she does super well on Wellness, it does seem like every other month we have at least a week of the very loose stool to diarrhea and a day or two of vomiting (yellow liquid). We've talked to her vet about this and she's done tests but no reason or cause for the upset tummy. Other than that she seems perfectly fine!
Have they run tests for parasites? If you haven't asked specifically for the ELISA test, I would do that. Giardia and other parasites can be really good at hiding! If that comes back clear, I would assume something in her food is bothering her. Maybe try a different brand that has a different protein in it than the Wellness has. When I still fed my dogs kibble, I always had good luck with Earthborn Holistics grain free options. They have numerous varieties that are suitable for all life stages (you don't have to stick to just the puppy formula). Fromm, Acana, Orijen... Those might also have something that works well for your girl.

Loose stool and vomiting bile wouldn't be ok with me, so I'd want to at least try another food and see if it fixed things.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Even if she's on heart guard she can still get parasites? I thought it protects against those things. Shes due for a check up soon anyway I'll ask my vet about the test...

As for the food I found a store close home that sells those brands so I'll be able to change her off wellness if i need to!

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Remember too that at 8 months, she is going through a lanky adolescent stage. If you feel she is too skinny, you can increase her rations by a little bit, but keep a sharp eye on her to make sure she isn't putting on too much weight. Ribs should be felt easily, but not protruding -

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Even if she's on heart guard she can still get parasites? I thought it protects against those things. Shes due for a check up soon anyway I'll ask my vet about the test...

As for the food I found a store close home that sells those brands so I'll be able to change her off wellness if i need to!
She can absolutely still get parasites while on Heartgard! Roundworms, hookworms and heartworms are covered by Heartgard Plus. It does nothing for tapeworms, giardia, coccidia, etc. I would definitely get her checked for parasites, just to be sure. I'm not trying to freak you out or anything... I just went through quite the ordeal with my own dog when he was a puppy. He had giardia and it was missed for way too long! We got numerous negative fecal tests until we asked for the ELISA test. Hopefully she is parasite free, but it never hurts to check, just to make sure!

It's great that you have a local store with good food options, should you need to change her food again. ;)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Omgosh! ? she is definitely going to vet this Friday and will get tested, she is my boyfriend and I's first puppy so I'm glad I'm came on here and started asking questions. Hopefully it's not a parasite and I just have to change her food instead.
Thank you for all the helpful info :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts