German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. im concerned about my 9month old male i rescued froma shepherd rescue.while he looks healthy, exellent coat and tons of energy, he is small for shepherd and his weight is stuck at around 55lbs. he was taken for blood work and there is a slight chance of pancreatitus. his stools are always soft and yellowish in color and the volume is that of a large dog.it loks like he is not absorbing any of the protein. i am feeding him canidae chicken and rice formula. does anyone have experience with pancreatitus and does his condition sound familiar? he has been dewormed so that is not a concern. wondering if he will gain weight.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Hi there!

Which rescue did you adopt from? I believe Cindy is in Appleton, is that right? I used to live in Madison and volunteer with a gsd rescue and adopted out one of my own fosters to a couple in Appleton.

55 pounds is not necessarily small for 9 months old. In fact, it could be a fine size. Is he really skinny or are you going by weight alone?

As for the poop, that does sound icky. Did they test for EPI? That is very common in gsds. That is quite different than pancrlatitis though. Your description does sound like the poops of an EPI dog.

Here are two recent threads on EPI and german shepherds. The first includes links to past threads too:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=701101
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=680811

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, yes he came from cindy. he is the second shepherd i got from her. the first one i adopted in 97 and was euthanized in march of this year due to degenerative loss of the rear legs and possible cushings. i spoke to her a couple of weeks ago about this condition and im looking for some info. the vet thinks it might be pancreatitus in the real early stages. bloodwork showed real slight protein defeciency.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Does his poop have a weird sweet smell to it? That's one of the signs. I know a bit about it because my friend's gsd has it and I figured out what it was. He just couldn't gain weight and was pooping a lot and it was a weird color and had a weird smell to it.

If I were you I would go ahead and put him on one of the products suggested in those threads and see how he does.

And just to clarify--this is Endocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency and not pancreatitis.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I was just going to say Pancreatitis the stool would be soft and Grey (ash or clay) colored. My Male has Pancreatitis and right now I just watch the fat intake, too much fat and he has a flare up.

Val

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
EPI also features ash colored stool.

Here's a brief description:

EPI - Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency is a condition where the pancreas does not secrete the proper enzymes to digest foods. This is found commonly in German Shepherd Dogs, although seen in other breeds as well. Testing is needed to determine this disorder, and prescription enzyme medications are needed for treatment. Like SIBO, EPI has large stools with odor. These are grey in color, often with a greasy texture.

Symptoms of EPI include INCREASED appetite, fluffy, huge smelly, greasy, gray colored stools, loss of weight, gas, loud stomach noises, etc. The dog’s pancreas doesn’t produce enough digestive enzymes to break the food down.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Have you had a Giardia Antigen ran?

Dante ate so much food and didn't gain weight when he had Giardia it was amazing. He was actually tested for EPI because 2 regular Giardia tests came back negative, wasn't until they ran the antigen that we found it was Giardia, which can cause malabsorbtion.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think all of you are correct about the EPI. i thought i might have herd my vet mention a test that involves a 12 hour fast for this test. would that be the test for EPI?

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
That would be the test for EPI - Do have the Giardia Antigen run first though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts