German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all new here! We just picked up our GSD from the breeder. He’s doing great! Very playful and napping a lot! One thing we’re concerned about is his weight. He’s currently 8lbs at 7 weeks. I see growth charts online and they say he should be more around 19lbs! He’s German show lines. If that makes a difference. Just concerned that he has a weight problem. His two brothers looked to be about the same size so I don’t think he was the runt per se. any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
I really just like puppy pics, lol. But no, I just wanted to see if he was younger or looked very small. He looks pretty ok to me, I thought in the one picture he looked thin but it's hard to tell with all that fluffiness.
Has he seen a vet? He looks like a little ball of adorable and his size seems fairly normal so if he is not underweight then I would say he is normal for him.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I have had really small puppies at that age. In fact most of them were smaller. All of them have grown to be normal sized, or bigger, with most of them catching up at about 3 months of age.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had really small puppies at that age. In fact most of them were smaller. All of them have grown to be normal sized, or bigger, with most of them catching up at about 3 months of age.
Ok this is reassuring. I had a GSD years ago and I remember him being the more normal progression and he only ended up being 70lbs. So when we saw how small the pup was we got worried he would be even smaller than that

·
Super Moderator
32,233 Posts
I've never seen a growth chart that said a 7 week old GSD should be 19 pounds! We got both Dena and Keefer at 9 weeks old, about a year apart. They were half siblings and in the 18/19 pound range when they came home. I don't know what they weighed at 7 weeks, but young puppies can gain 10-12 pounds a month so based on that they were probably around 12 pounds at 7 weeks. Halo was a much smaller puppy and she matured to about 55 pounds as an adult.

As long as your puppy is in good condition for his size I wouldn't worry about the numbers on a scale. There's a 22 pound range in the breed stand for both adult males and females, and they don't all grow at the same rate either. At 6 months old, Keefer weighed less than Dena did at the same age, but at maturity he was about 8 pounds more. She grew faster early, he was a late bloomer. If your puppy feels skinny, increase his meals slightly. When you run your hand down his side are his ribs overly prominent? During the rapid growth of puppyhood, you will probably be adjusting the amount of his meals frequently in order to maintain optimum condition.

·
Super Moderator
6,973 Posts
Ok this is reassuring. I had a GSD years ago and I remember him being the more normal progression and he only ended up being 70lbs. So when we saw how small the pup was we got worried he would be even smaller than that
i tend to compare it a lot to preteen humans... in 8th grade i was 5’0, my best friend was 5’8.... we’re both 5’9 now as adults.
the pups eyes, coat, body condition and energy will be a lot more telling than any number.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Sabi.jpg
This is Sabi at 7 weeks. Note the cabinet doors are above her back. She certainly did not weigh anywhere near 19lbs! She was 82lbs as an adult at working weight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well these posts are definitely reassuring. I thought we had a problem. He looks great, coat is nice, and when I worked him no signs of worms. Maybe he’ll just end up having a growth spurt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts