German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new GSD puppy. She’s 10 weeks old today. The breeder started her on Blue Buffalo Freedom large breed puppy which she loves, can’t get enough of it. I don’t care how much her food costs as long as she is on a premium food that will promote the best health possible. Her vet does not recommend grain free so going to ween her to another brand but not for a couple more weeks. Don’t want to upset her tummy. My wife uses Earthborn Unrefined Smoked Salmon for her 1-1/2 yr old STD Poodle and results seem very good. I’m going to gradually move my girl away from grain free and maybe go with the same Earthborn recipe once I switch to an adult food. Experiences and/or advice re Earthborn?

·
Registered
31,145 Posts
Check the DM list of foods. I think Earthborn, some varieties, were on there. Earthborn is a good food.

I feed Victor and have been super happy with how my dogs have done. When Faren was a puppy, I used the kibble for training. The is the one I chose. The protein level and fat content are good for a puppy and the calcium/phos ratio is 1.2:1

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand Victor is a very good brand. We used the Victor puppy kibble for her poodle but he lost interest when we switched him to adult food. Makes sense to consolidate and keep both dogs on same brand. Just don’t know enough yet about Earthborn. Wife researched and feels confident about the quality and nutrition but I tend to overthink and dig deep with the research when it comes to making a decision like this.

·
Registered
31,145 Posts
It's a very good food. Just don't put him on a grain free food. They still haven't figured out what is triggering DM in some dogs. I've never been a believer in grain free anyways. It's the best marketing scheme EVER.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's a very good food. Just don't put him on a grain free food. They still haven't figured out what is triggering DM in some dogs. I've never been a believer in grain free anyways. It's the best marketing scheme EVER.
Thanks. Since she was weened with the Blue Buffalo Freedom, I bought one bag to use to transition without upsetting her stomach. When getting her 9 week shots last week, my vet said he did not recommend grain free which started my search for a good replacement.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
During her 12 weeks exam and vaccinations, she weighed 26 lbs. 9 week exam she weighed 18 lbs. An 8 lb gain in 3 weeks scared me but her vet reassured me she was doing great. Her feet are huge. I have about 10 lbs of the Blue Buffalo Freedom grain free left and after more research and talking with the vet, decided to transition to Fromm Gold large breed puppy. I had to buy a food bowl with dividers because she eats so fast and always wants more. She loves to eat. I'm training her with Cheerios which she also loves. She had just finished breakfast and I had a Cheerio in my hand to get her to sit for pics.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
We feed Agis Fromm's Gold Large Breed Puppy, and he's doing really well on it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts