German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the mistake of bathing my dog too often with a cheap shampoo recently and have been thinking about how often I typically bathe my puppy. He's a little over a year old, and very active as we do tracking, nosework and urban mushing on a weekly basis. He's an indoor dog and is allowed on my bed/couch and I'd rather him have a bath more frequently than most owners. Because of my recent mistake I did some research and purchased some better shampoo/conditioner recently and would like to up my bathing to once a week. I was wondering if just bathing him with conditioner would solve any skin worries, and rinsing him with hot water and conditioner should get any mud from tracking out. I'd like him to be as clean as possible when he's sleeping on the bed, and once or twice a month just isn't going to cut it for me. Argos loves baths, and the product I bought has fantastic reviews so I don't think it should hurt his coat/skin. Was hoping to have some feedback though on owners who do wash once a week and any advice.
Also was wondering if washing with just conditioner would help our current problem. He has really dry skin/fur after using a cheap shampoo twice in one month. After spraying some leave in conditioner I expected his dryness to go away, but we're still dealing with itching and dandruff. Still waiting for the product to come in the mail, but I'm expecting it this week and was planning on bathing with just conditioner to help his skin. Wanted to make sure no one had experience to the contrary.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
I only bathe mine twice per year unless she's gotten into something. It's my understanding the natural oils need to be here for skin and coat health.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which is why I'm looking at using shampoos that will preserve those oils. I don't think conditioner strips them.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I asked my vet about this once. He said as long as you're using a conditioner you can bathe him as often as you like.

·
Super Moderator
5,867 Posts
My dogs get absolutely filthy in mud,water,and dirt.I do clean off their paws,but only bathe twice a year.If you let it dry it brushes right off.If they get a little smelly I use a spray on,leave in shampoo to freshen them up.I would be concerned about drying out their skin by bathing weekly.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Maybe just buy some dog wipes and wipe off the feet and any dirty areas at bed time, so that you don't have to bathe quite so often?

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
When I was needing to bath dogs often (medical issue) I used a natural castile shampoo (actually bar soap). It is supposed to be the best thing out there plus it is cheap.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
your new shampoo likely won't strip present oils but it still affects the natural ph and can interrupt oil production. other suggestions have been offered but if you absolutely have to bathe weekly... conditioner only is the way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts