German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 6 GDS puppies (3 boys and 3 girls) 2 of the girls are noticeably smaller than their 4 other litter mates. Momma is taking care of them all, but the one girl (purple) seems to have issues latching but I can't see any noticeable mouth issues, the other girl (light pink) seems to latch well but the larger litter mates generally push her away when she is eating. I am trying to supplement with puppy formula but not sure how often I should supplement since they are eating from momma as well. I don't have a scale that will weigh them with as small as they are but the two smaller ones are not being rejected nor are they removing themselves from the litter or their mother, Momma is cleaning them and helping them use the bathroom and recently I have been just supplementing when I notice they are trying to eat but aren't able to or are pushed away. Also momma seems to be spending more time away from the babies than I expected (she will leave the box for extended periods of time but does return, Please give any advice that you may have on if this is normal behavior for the momma as I only have experience with smaller dogs and never had a momma do this, and I would appreciate any tips on how to best help these babies.

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
How old is the mother dog? A healthy GSD should feed a 6 pup liter easily. Take them all to the vet with the questions you have. As a breeder you hopefully have a network of fellow breeders who can help you as well.
The hardships of breeding a litter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts