German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok what the heck.
Malachi is a 'weaver'.
He walks very nicely on the leash (using a prong) but he has this strange habit of running between my legs every so often. He's big and there's been a few times where I thought I was going to end up riding him. It's definitely intentional. It's not out of confusion or getting tangled in the leash, etc. It's something we need to work on..strange as it is.

He also stops a lot during our walks. He will stop out of nowhere, sit down next to me and look at me like he wants to be loved on. So I'll usually give him a few pats and rubs but the INSTANT I stop petting and go to start walking again, he wants to jump on me like crazy. He never jumps any other time. Literally, never. I'm guessing he's trying to initiate play. We're working on that behavior, too.

Just thought I'd share. Anyone else's pup do this weaving thing? What's that about?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
My Sting doesn't weave on walks, but does that when he greets me and he is big enough to ride :) From what you posted, I get the idea that your handsome Malachi is taking the lead on the walks with the stopping, starting, sniffing, weaving. My Sting would do the same but I use the walk in sync method -he walks nicely by my side -he does get sniffing breaks on the loose leash when I choose - if he pulls away at other times - I bump into him - turn suddenly - that isn't much fun for him so he pays attention - if he stops it better be because he has a sticker or something in his paw - and he does hold that paw up.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
LOL! He sounds like a sweetie and a handful. I'm not as patient as you are. If mine stops, I speed up. Like Mary Beth says, it forces them to pay attention. I like to be in charge of walks, and not have it the other way around ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts