German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did you do to help your dogs weak Pasterns? Noctis is 5 months, he's had Pennhip Evals and everything looked normal, so no elbow dysplasia or anything like that. We feed Iams large breed adult food, and he gets 1/4 lb 93/7 grass fed raw hamburger 4 days a week, and 2 raw eggs 3 days a week. I'm not sure what else we can be doing to help?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
A good quality large breed puppy or adult dog food is important. I know they are many good threads on weak Pasterns. Vitamin c supplements and exercise in soft surfaces such as sand are suppose to help tighten genetic loose ligaments. Right amounts (not to high)of Calcium, phosphorus levels and not over feeding are important for healthy growth. That seems like a lot of eggs maybe someone can chime in.
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/best-large-breed-puppy-food/

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
your dog's pasterns do not look weak . They are , however, long .

You see this in the American show lines . An open shoulder allows for the front leg
to reach out and grab some dirt . A good shoulder placement is harder to gain , rear
angulation much more responsive -- .
So when you deliberately select for that longer pastern , which gives the illusion of a open
non-restricted front in the all important side-gait , you appear to have more reach.

this was shared with me by a well known breeder/judge (Nationals Specialty levels) who mentored
me for a weekend at a US Nationals. I was asked to critique the dogs .
She was a friend of a friend and they travelled together .

you don't find the exaggerated pastern in the European dogs .

in the picture of your dog standing you can see that he isn't a loose dog . His pasterns are not
collapsed . In fact look good for what they are !

the dog's feet are flat , open, and long toed. You can't change that .
You can't change his body proportions - those are the dog's conformation.

Vitamin C -- again . best sourced in the natural complexity of whole food surces such as
acerola cherry, camu camu, bilberry , rosehips , amla (Indidan gooseberry) cranberry ,
raspberry , red and green peppers .

Then you will have rutin, bioflavins (hesperidin) , quercetin

When you have a top operating liver function which you have nurtured with glutamine and glycine (BONE BROTH)
and N-AC , and whole food sourced C , you will not have "expensive urine" because the body keeps recycling the vitamin C ! Nice.

Vitamin C so good for so many things including strong ligament and tendons ..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts