German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have had many German Shepherds in the past and currently have 1 male and recently adopted an 18 week old male that walks on his hocks and has weak pasterns. Currently on Hills Science Diet puppy food. Was taking calcium supplements before and it was thought that this might have been the problem as the puppy was fine at 10 weeks. 14 weeks not so. He is currently in hydrotherapy twice a week and we are doing exercises with him. Vet has mentioned orthotics at a cost of $10,000. Will be getting a 2nd and 3rd opinion regarding what is best for this adorable little guy! Reading lots and lots of conflicting information on this.

Thanks,

Dawson

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Fred Lanting recommends low protein and reduced calcium/magnesium.

Reactions: Katsugsd

·
Registered
52 Posts
poor breeding/genetics.
The 1 I saw got better with time, but unfortunately I dont know what was done to help the animal.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Exercise can do a great deal to help with this type of weakness. As a matter of fact, I know of 2 siblings with normal pasterns as puppies that developed downed pasterns as a result of being kept in a crate, and only let out to poop and pee a couple of times a day!

Pasterns returned to normal, after the breeder found out about it, and rescued them!

·
Registered
31,490 Posts
That hurts just to look at it. Those aren't just downed pasterns. That's extreme.

Lower protein for sure. You could look up Carmspack. She's a breeder in Canada. I know she's helped several dogs on this forum with diet and supplements. If you are near Connecticut, look up Wizard of Paws and go see Deb. She's a physical therapist. Not just someone that took a 2 week course, an actual PT. I drove to see her from PA. She was totally worth the round trip day. she also does online/phone consults so look her up anyways. She's not crazy expensive and very knowledgeable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts