German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Our pup is 6 months old and just last month he started limping. His xrays came back negative from the vet. He was on a 1 week trial of Rimadyl as the vet suspected it was pano, but she wasn't 100% sure.

His limp is still there and today we discovered him sitting with light pressure on his front right paw. Could this be a weak pastern?

He's on a raw chicken diet from Oma's Pride. His activity level is normal for a pup and has a high play drive. He weighs 70 lbs.

He doesn't cry or whimper in any pain when you touch it. He'a a professional counter surfer and couch jumper. I don't recall him sustaining an injury in the past.

I've scheduled another appointment with the vet with this new information that I have.

·
Registered
32,210 Posts
I have never fed RAW as a regular diet. I have heard a variety of things about puppies, like too much or too little protein can cause problems with pasterns. That is why I usually go with a dry food that is around 26/16 protein to fat ratio. I expect a raw diet would be quite high in protein. But it conflicts with what others say about protein levels. Lots of people raise puppies on a raw diet. I am not sure about the Oma's pride, but looking at the food Earthborn currently says is good for puppies, it is way higher in protein than I like to feed. So they are going with average sized dogs, not necessarily large breed dogs. With large breed dogs we usually can feed an good adult kibble to puppies without issues, but not puppy food, unless it is a large-breed puppy food. So if the food you are giving from Oma's pride is a puppy- formula, you might want to figure out if it is specifically suitable for large breed puppies.

Pano would be my first guess too. And that can hang on for a while. Usually it moves from limb to limb.

The other thing is he may have sprained it, and isn't putting weight on it because it hurts. Happens. Pano is usually self-limiting. A sprain with a young dog is often hard because they want to go-go-go, and they get excited, and can easily re-injure the leg.

Let's hope it is pano.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They advertise it as a complete meal for all life stages, and before I ordered it I spoke with customer service about our 9 week old puppy at the time and this is what they recommended,

He's been on it ever since. I know raw is very debatable on these forums when it comes to puppies, but if we have to switch to dry on my vet's orderswe will.

Or this can be a simple case of growing too fast. He averages 10 lbs a month. We stick to the feeding guide and never exceed his daily servings. We also avoid stairs, but he determines to be a couch olympian. We limited his exercise to just potty break walks until we have this under control.

His follow up is this Friday and hopefully it's just pano 🤞

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Yep, most likely pano. It looks like he does have a conformation flaw with his front legs though - he's east-west (paws point outwards instead of being parallel to each other.)

This generally doesn't cause lameness, though. Pano is far more common.

·
Registered
32,210 Posts
I augment food for pregnant bitches with something very similar, freshpet chicken recipe. It has 14 percent protein and 11 percent fat, and a lot of moisture. 5.5 pounds is something ridiculous like 19.99. But they like it, and if they have to eat... I can mix it with the kibble, and it is only temporary. I will also give them dishes of canned food(95%meat), yogurt, eggs, and sometimes cheese. Again, temporary. You can't feed a lactating bitch too much. I can't imagine feeding that formula to a 70 pound puppy. Also, puppies have higher energy and are growing, so they generally do eat more than their adult counterparts who weigh the same. The thing is you paying for 70% water. If you have just the one dog, spending 17$ every three days isn't a big deal. If you have a dozen, you'd be in the poor house. For a 100% diet, I think that food is low on protein and fat. Is it low enough to give the pup a problem? I just don't know. Sometimes we want to do the very best for our dogs, especially with dog food, only to find that it is causing problems.

Prarie is now Instinct, they have an interesting chicken recipe that is a raw kibble that is 25/14 protein to fat ratio, they do say to feed puppies up to twice the recommended feeding for adult dogs.
Instinct® Be Natural™ Real Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe | Instinct Pet Food

That comes in 25 pound bags. At Pet Supplies Plus this is $49.98 so not exactly cheap (I am currently feeding Diamond 40 pound bags). But I have used this as a topper in the past. Hang on, it says in there that it meets the feeding guidelines for all life stages except for large-breed puppies (growth). So, it is possible that the food you are feeding is too low in protein and fat for growth. The Diamond large breed puppy that I fed the last litter on is lamb, and it is 27% protein to 15% percent fat and has the 1.2:1.0 Calcium to Phosphorous ratio that is so important for large breed pups. Their AAFCO says that it meets guidelines for all life stages, including growth for large breed puppies. It's not raw, though. I think you are feeding a really high end food, but I am just concerned that it doesn't have enough protein or fat for your pup and it can affect how the puppy grows.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its pano. Switching over to adult kibble as instructed. Thank you all for the replies.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I don't see weak pasterns in the photo. More than likely it is Pano. Reduce protein levels to a 21-24% Adult food and give it a month or two to settle down.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
My breeder advices: 1000 mg of Vitamin C a day. I have added turmeric and coconut oil and a pinch of MSM. He thought that was a good idea. At least that large male didn't get Pano.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts