German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he has a short snout btw. I think he just has a soft grip when it comes to toys and what not. Every time we play fetch he drops the ball once or twice on his way back, it's pretty funny to watch i was just curious. He won't be doing any protection training or bite work honestly so im not too worried about it. I just like to learn more about the breed

·
Registered
497 Posts
How old is he. Give him bones to chew. Inintially i suspected my male to have weak jaws, but as he matured iy improved. Now he carries brick (seriously) in his mouth. I think it is important to wait and see for atleast 18 months

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Our WL male was a ball and toy dropper when younger and he has a fairly large muzzle. He tended to chew, mouth, or even hold the ball "squished" off to one side of his mouth and he'd make it shoot out (he still does this). I think it's just them having fun with it rather than solidly latching on. I doubt your pup has any issue with jaw strength.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know it's considered a "fault" in the breed but like I said he won't be doing any bite work. He's my first ever GSD and dog and couldn't have been more perfect for that. My next one will be a working line for sure.....further down the road though

·
Registered
547 Posts
A good test of his jaw strength might be to time how long it takes him to completely destroy a bully stick or shear the knot off of a rawhide bone.

Jack drops things while running all the time, and it's usually because he's bouncing around, mouthing the ball, or getting distracted. He does much better with sticks. That said, he's capable of puncturing a Jolly Egg so he can carry it, and does so with little effort--and that is some hard plastic. Ours destroys 6-inch bully sticks/rawhide knots in about 20 minutes when he's focused.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
nice head on an older style ASL
Alert of Mi-Noah's
Thanks for sharing. Interesting to note that the tibia bone seems to be quite long and the dog is over-angulated. But hocks are good. Some people suggest that only the modern showline dogs with slope back, have these issues of overangulation and loose hock. Even dogs with level back can be overangulated

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Alert was used a good head selection using American show lines .

Today's heads are long and narrow , with poorly developed lower jaw "needle nose".

Today's ASL's still tend to be long , loose and , yes , over angulated.

ASL's toplines BACKS are not the same as West German show lines. So off course dogs with level backs
can be over angulated.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've never encountered a dog who dropped toys from a weak jaw, toys do not take a lot of power to hold onto. Likely your dog is just getting distracted or too excited, doesn't focus on the toy.

My Shepherd has no tug motivation, he will not pull and often lets go of toys when I grab onto them, but with other dogs he seldom loses at tug. It's just a motivation thing.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Today's ASL's still tend to be long , loose and , yes , over angulated.

ASL's toplines BACKS are not the same as West German show lines. So off course dogs with level backs
can be over angulated.
Yes the significant change in the WGSL occured in the Anticlinical region of the back of a gsd. Louis Donald explains it very clearly. See
The True Back of the German Shepherd Dog - The German Shepherd Dog

In the post 1970 WGSL dogs, "...It’s a bit like someone has put the tip of their finger under the spine in the middle of the anticlinal region and pushed the spine upward...." ( Louis Donald)

This was done with an aim to make the back strong. But this change was subsequently exaggerated by breeders who confused style with type.

They bred dogs with raised anticlinical region even if the dog had over angulation or loose hocks. Also the hip positions became lower.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
tezpur you are jumping around to topics having nothing to do with a weak lower jaw.

I provide a picture of an older style ASL as an example because the dog has a nice head , and his jaw is
open so that blitzromman can see width and depth and length and you bring in WGSL backs.

I don't think this jaw , which is pretty common , prevents the dog from holding on to toys .

That is probably more of a temperament or drive issue . Maybe he doesn't have possessiveness .

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
My dog is very into his toys. Outside though, he often shoots the ball out of his mouth. He compresses it down with his jaw and then if the pressure gets to one side of the ball, it shoots out like a slingshot. Nothing to do with jaw strength. It has to do with where he's gripping the ball.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He loves to play tug and won't let go. However he does bite with his front teeth most of the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts