• panosteitis

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I got an xray of my 6 months old max hips and I wanted to see if I could get some comments from you all. His hind legs twisted when he walks please find below picture of xray and video links how he walks . Please suggest how to improve his gait your valuable suggestions and comments will be highly appreciated

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Your dog is severely cow-hocked and overangulated. Nothing to do with his hips. He may grow out of it, but it's a problem with the way the show line dogs are bred. Breeding for extremes has made this dog what he is.

I really hope you didn't pay for that x-ray. It's horrible. I think the hip on the right side (actually the LEFT hip) would look okay if the legs were parallel to each other and the pelvis properly centered instead of being tilted to the left. Hips are well seated in the sockets, and I don't see any malformation.

I'd go back to the vet, tell him/her to look up the OFA standard for x-rays, and redo the x-ray for free. I think the hips are probably okay.

As for how to fix it - it's a conformation problem, and you will have to live with it. Help the dog build muscle by daily exercise. It should be low-impact, and you should avoid repeating the same thing again and again. E.g. - throwing the ball 10 times is probably okay, but 10 times is enough. Walkin/running in sand and swimming are great ways to build muscle without hurting growing joints.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
On watching the videos again, it looks like your dog is skinny and severely lacking in muscle. Does he spend a lot of time in his crate, or shut up in the house? If so, this is making the problem worse. The breeder of one of my dogs sold two pups from the same litter to someone who lied to her. He said he had a nice big yard for the dogs, and would exercise them regularly, when he actually lived in an apartment and the dogs were shut in crates for nearly the whole day.

When the man was arrested, she got the dogs back. Their legs were so weak from lack of exercise that their pasterns were nearly touching the ground! And these were pups with NORMAL conformation!

Regular exercise soon fixed the problem.

Another thing to remember: muscle is good for supporting joints, but excess weight is not. Make sure you don't let this dog get overweight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes he spend almost 10 hours tied not in crate and rest 14 hours open your are absolutely right i go for walks in park with max where he openly play with another gsd bitch you can see in video

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The problem with large dogs like the GSD is that they can't get sufficient exercise just being walked on a leash. They need a good sized open area where they can run and jump and play. Are you in a large city? Where do you live?

Edit: I just noticed the poll. Dogs do not get DM at so young an age. Panosteitis (pano) causes noticeable limping, so your dog doesn't have that, either, though he's in the right age group to get it. And I doubt it's wobbler syndrome.

Here is a GSD show ring champion, that's severely cow-hocked, though not as bad as your dog. (Your dog is at an age when it is growing rapidly, so the wobbling likely WILL improve as he approaches maturity. ) Just wanted to show you it's a common problem with this breed that breeders have created! That does not make it any less horrible, though.

I have seen dogs in the show ring that were so wobbly in the hind legs they needed the handler's help to stand in a stack. This dog is not an exception, nor is your dog. If I had a penny for every post I've seen about a young GSD that bunny hopped/moved strangely, it would be quite a pile of cash! Most people think it indicates dysplasia, but that's usually not the case. Dysplasia can ONLY be properly diagnosed with an x-ray, not by feeling the joints, or watching the dog move.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
What do u say now it will go with agr and proper exercise ? I live in small city of pakistan even there is no proper vet and thanks for your details comments i am really thankful to you

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
Pano may or may not show a noticeable limp. Whether it does or not can depend on the number of legs affected at a given time or the severity of the bout. I have had pups have pano in three and even four legs as per the veterinarian/xrays. Pano can manifest itself by awkward movement, awkward or rounded sits, a reluctance to do positions or to perform a basic sit/down. Often what is described as "stubborn" when training a pup is actually a reluctance to obey due to pain and undiagnosed pano.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
What do u say now it will go with agr and proper exercise ? I live in small city of pakistan even there is no proper vet and thanks for your details comments i am really thankful to you
Humayunp, 5 months is an awkward age for german shepherd pups. They are growing rapidly, and are the equivalent of human teenagers - all arms and legs! The cow hocks are not magically going to vanish once your dog reaches maturity, but the wobbling will be less noticeable, as he grows into those gangly legs, and builds muscle. As I mentioned, swimming and exercising in sand are good for building muscle without damaging growing joints. If you don't have access to a beach or lake, find an area where you can walk him up and down hills and over rough ground, so he learns how to negotiate obstacles. It will increase his agility, and help his balance by teaching him where to place his feet.

If you are able to get the x-ray redone, here's what proper positioning looks like:
These hips are OFA good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for your suggestion sunsilver one things really disturb while exercising my boy is pakistan hot weather here in pakistan tempretures go above 42 43c with humidity of 70% and max really tired even on short walks.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Okay, that is a problem! You have to be careful he doesn't burn his paws with temperatures like that! Check the pavement with your hand - if it's too hot for you to keep your hand on it for 5 seconds, it could burn his feet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Usually i go on walks in park with my boy after sunset when tempreture decreases to 32 to 30c but he play 2 to 3 minutes and rest then again play and rest this will take 1 hour play and rest

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
At high temperatures with high humidity, heat stroke and heat exhaustion are a BIG risk in exercising a dog. They cannot cool themselves off effectively. It can kill them really quickly. Please familiarize yourself with symptoms so that you'll recognize them early if they start: Recognizing & Preventing Heat Exhaustion Dogs | Hill's Pet

It's not just the temperature but the combined heat index of heat and humidity that make the situation dangerous. In my area right now, we have a heat index of 110 F (43 C) today due to the high humidity. We had to walk the dogs today at 5AM before the sun came up, and even then it was a shorter than normal walk. For us, this season is like the season of snow and ice in northern climates--we stay in and hide!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Can i feed creatine monohydrate for muscles building and high energy level
No, that's not going to build muscle. Only exercise can do that. I think you are doing the best you can with exercising your dog after the sun goes down. The only other thing I can think of is to buy a treadmill, and exercise the dog indoors, if your house has air conditioning.

You could also teach her to run up and down stairs inside the house, if you have stairs.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts