German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
you need to go to a vet .

the left side is dragging because there is a loss of nerve conduction.

go to this Vet and ask about sacrolumbar stenosis ---- SPINAL STENOSIS .

it will show on an x ray https://www.google.ca/search?q=german+shepherd+sacro+lumbar+stenosis&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiiwYDu_JXdAhVC8IMKHW2CDBcQsAR6BAgAEAE&biw=1280&bih=617#imgrc=hKT83nzI1HTRxM:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=german+shepherd+sacro+lumbar+stenosis&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiiwYDu_JXdAhVC8IMKHW2CDBcQsAR6BAgAEAE&biw=1280&bih=617#imgrc=hKT83nzI1HTRxM:

it is one of the dirty little secrets that is known by the SV - predominantly found in
the show lines

there is a

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
@carmspack, for my own curiosity, do you think that the calcium supplements made this worse or more pronounced, or do you think that at this point, the calcium supplements have not yet had an affect? Is this 100% how the dog was born, or did the supplements make it worse?

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
this is a genetic problem ---

the dog looks well cared for , good condition

calcium has nothing to do with this

here is a German video , which I have posted more than once in different threads

it is in German , but you don't need to under stand the language to get value out of the
presentation

early on there is a Vet who takes the SV on because of the increasing number of young dogs
affected by this condition

the SV knows about it , the breeders know about it . they continue to breed from stock producing
affected dogs

they sell these dogs to foreign buyers, India , China, Japan , who want to belong to the SV
$$$ club

poor pup --- here is the video

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
no - cow hock is not your worry

you need to take this information to your Vet -- no supplements - no "medicine"

surgery

then you need to go back to the breeder and they need to know what has come from their
breeding so that , if they have any feelings or ethics , they wll STOP

this dog is a beautiful dog -- he has a beautiful spirit

go look at the picture of the dog sitting . you can see a disfigured back - the hump,
you can see that he can't get his front legs in under neath himself - he has to bridge
he leans on his right side and the dog's right side pastern is collapsing

if you were to send a picture of the dog standing I could "twin" him to one of the side views in
that web site I provided with the dozens of dogs with the same condition

I am not attacking you , and you may hate my guts , because I am pointing out a possibilty
that is difficult and scary to accept

I have to be so frank because if a vet or anyone tells you it is awkward young dog development
or needing CALCIUM ?????? or that the dog will grow out of it - then you wasting time and money ,

you need to give this information to your VET . If they don't know , then as a Vet , they NEED to
know.

sorry --

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
you may not be able to do anything about this - far beyond your financial means, maybe far beyond the
quality of Vet care available , I truly appreciate this .

In the meantime you need to know what you can do to help this dog be comfortable - have some
honest , effective , help , and not be sold a bunch of stuff that does nothing except line the pockets
of some one .

won't cure , won't change --- comfort

then you will adjust his exercise , the type , amount and your expectationsto be fair to the dog

as I said in my first post , it really pains me

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
send a video of NOW

just hope this male , gsd, at this "typcial" age does not get PANO on top of everything else

of course you can't diagnose a dog over the inter net . Maybe your vet did not give a good diagnosis
with the dog right there on his exam table !

that is why I am giving you something to ask the vet about -- Stenosis -- ask them to examine
with that in mind so that you can work with it and help the dog or rule it out and help the dog.

the dog does not have good structure --

in the video you sent the back was moving like a disturbed water bed --

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Just listen to carmspack. She is very helpful and have huge knowledge. I followed hers guidelines about my dog and improvements are visible already. BR

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would typically add a joint supplement but I am not sure about a puppy. I would have a vet check it out and talk to them about it before I added anything since he is 6 months

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Googling I found it, but no ingredients were ever listed....

Here's the blurb I saw:

SavaVet Bonhans Nutritional Supplement For Healthy Joints & Mobility

Product - Bonhans Nutritional Supplement For Healthy Joints & Mobility. Brand - Sava Vet. It Support healthy joint structure & function. It acts as supplement in case of fracture, supplement during joint surgeries. It helps in management of hip and elbow dysplasia. It is meant for all breeds dogs 2+ Months.

From here: https://jawsnpaws.in/savavet-bonhans-nutritional-supplement-for-healthy-joints-mobility.html

On the Sava Vet website I still found no ingredients list...

Isn't it enough to know that it's good and it helps, I mean you have the manufacturer's word on it LOL!

21 - 40 of 66 Posts