German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
What do you mean weak? To get the most of the really knowledgeable people here, you will need to show a video of exactly what you are concerned about. He is in that weird growth stage...that might be all that is going on.

You should stop giving him extra calcium. Extra calcium is known to cause issue. What food are you feeding?

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Get a good large breed puppy food. No calcium and I would never feed Pedigree unless it is the only dog food available. Maybe consider another vet who knows more about nutrition.
At six months old they often have a weird gait as they are the equivalent of a human teenager.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Do NOT supplement calcium! Especially on growing large breed pup such as German Shepherds! I don't know what your vet is thinking, honestly. And did you say the vet recommended Pedigree? No self-respecting veterinarian will EVER suggest PEDIGREE. You need to think twice before going back to that vet. Again No calcium, please. Find a GOOD vet and have them examine your pup properly!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank all of u for valueble suggestions ,actually i m not able to send video of his walking and not getting particular word for his hind legs position (he throws left hind leg from in sight to out)

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I am NOT convinced that this is a dietary issue.

It pains me to say this so many times , the problem you are having is due to the dogs conformation.
It can not be changed by feeding or exercising.
the dog probably is not weak in the hind , and what you are seeing is difficulty in moving in a manner that
you expect but the dog can not do. He is not built for it . That is my opinion.

since a video is not possible could you post a picture of the dog just standing normally showing a side view?

do you want a break down of the structure?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Post your video to YouTube, the post the link to it here. Make sure access on YouTube for the video is set to public!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I'm guessing you are not in the US. What country do you live? Knowing is helpful to understand why you vet may have suggested calcium supplements and what better quality food choices to offer.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Seems from other posters from India vets there tend to recommend calcium supplementation often. I'm guessing they do this because it is not uncommon for many to feed a homemade diet of table scraps and rice that lacks in calcium. That not being your case as you are feeding kibble calcium supplementation is not needed.

I'm no expert but watching the videos I would say part of the problem is conformation. He is also cow hocked. Also at 6 months he is at that awkward growing stage as well. There does appear to be an issue with the rear left leg.

Things I would do is stop the calcium supplement. There is a lot of research that shows it is actually detrimental to growing pups joint formation in larger breed dogs. They need to grow their bones slow and steady.
I would find a much better quality food. Pedigree is a low quality food. That said buy the best quality food in your budget.
I would have hip/leg x-rays done. There could very well be a deformity causing the issue either genetic or unknown injury.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
this has nothing to do with nutrition or a lack of muscle

the dog has very poor conformation and conformation is not a cosmetic thing

this dog is running down hill, he falls on his fore hand . There is no extension.

the back --- look at that back --- the sacral lumbar area . There is no stablilty.

the "back" is not just over the shoulder - the back in movement undulates in a whip wave
bobbling up and down - rear over the head .

the dog gets exhausted - it must hurt

I would check for some impingement , nerve conduction problem

the dog also has sickle hock . The rear leg can not get in under neath to propel .
the dog can't extend or flex the hock .

there is not much you can do . this is the way the dog is born.

you can make sure there is no inflammation --

go to a vet --- but calcium and food is not an answer for this nice sweet dog.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts