German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daisy has not eaten in 2-3 days, well 2-3 days ago she did eat the egg but left the dog food.

Hasn't touched it since tuesday morning when I stuck just dry food out because I read on here that a dog might be picky because they have a choice and they know we will bend over to make sure she eats, even giving her cheese and stuff..

It was a test of wills.... her's vs. Ours.

Well I wasn't having any of that but tonight my gf almost caved in... I said no. No treats till she eats her food or if friday rolls around and she's eaten food, then she can have some cheeze etc...

I sat next to her and told her to eat.. she looked at the bowl and laid down.

I picked the bowl up and picked up a piece of fine fine most excellent dog food and tossed it in my mouth while she watched. She saw me eat one piece and then got up, looked at me, then the bowl .. me, then went ahead and ate all her food.

WIN? :eek:

for the record, it didn't taste THAT good but it wasn't horrible either.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Maybe she thinks she can taste test your dinner now? I'm taking it as a win for you, unless you have to do this every time. On a side note, these dogs are VERY hard headed, good thing we are too :cool: .

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I used to leave food out all the time for Stosh but what worked the best was to leave it down for 20 mins then pick it up and put it on the counter until the next meal time. He quickly caught on that he needed to eat it while he had the chance. I did have to switch brands because he doesn't tolerate chicken very well and after I switched to TOTW he eats every bit

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Why wasn't she eating the food? Did she not like it but you wanted her to eat it anyways?

I am glad she is eating now but I definitly would not let my dog starve himself for 2-3 days. If my dog didn't like the food then I would find something else that he might like. If he usually ate his food but didn't after 1 day I would take him to the Vet to see what was going on.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Lauren I have one for ya. Chopper would never eat, he'd sometime go amweek and half without eating. nothing i did made him eat :shrug:

to the op good that she ate, but most dogs won't intentionally starve themselves and she would have eatten when she was hungry.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe she thinks she can taste test your dinner now? I'm taking it as a win for you, unless you have to do this every time. On a side note, these dogs are VERY hard headed, good thing we are too :cool: .

We do give her stuff occasionally from the table i.e. cook it for her and hand feed it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why wasn't she eating the food? Did she not like it but you wanted her to eat it anyways?

I am glad she is eating now but I definitly would not let my dog starve himself for 2-3 days. If my dog didn't like the food then I would find something else that he might like. If he usually ate his food but didn't after 1 day I would take him to the Vet to see what was going on.
I have no idea why she wasnt eating the food.

She was eating twice a day for the last 3-3.5 weeks and then either got bored with it or doesn't like it anymore.

I tried the good stuff (like royal canin) and i"ve tried the cheap stuff (pedigree). She ate the pedigree for the last 3-3.5 weeks, almost a 40lb bag is gone.

I'll see what she does today but at what point do you throw in the towel?

·
Registered
100 Posts
We have the same problem with Ares, sometimes he just doesn't want to eat and nothing we can do will make him. I used to get really stressed because I thought he was sick but after several vet visits we decided he was just an overly picky eater.

In fact, the most ridiculous thing ever was when we were at my breeder's house and I has said he hadn't eaten all day. She got really worried and asked if she could offer him super amazing kibble. I could basically guarantee he wouldn't eat it so it wouldn't mess with his stomach (he has a very sensitive digestive track) so I agreed. She ended up offering him about a cup of food, when he wouldn't eat that she added red meat, when he wouldn't eat that she added the juice from some salmon, and when he still refused to eat it she added the actual salmon. She was completely shocked because her dogs were going nuts just over the smell and Ares was giving us this look like "you expect me to eat the garbage...." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I picked the bowl up and picked up a piece of fine fine most excellent dog food and tossed it in my mouth while she watched. She saw me eat one piece and then got up, looked at me, then the bowl .. me, then went ahead and ate all her food.

WIN? :eek:

for the record, it didn't taste THAT good but it wasn't horrible either.

LOL!! Is this the Charlie Sheen method of Winning!!??? Duh!?!! :crazy:

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Scott you have it backwards is Duh!! Winning!!! *shakes head*

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a male that is like that. Zeus will not eat occasionally and when he decides to not eat it, there is nothing on this earth that you can put on/with it to make him eat. I have tried different food and that is an exercise in futility. I have found that if my husband tastes the food and likes it that Zeus will generally eat it. I can't do that, just can't get it down, but my husband will. He says that the food that isn't very fishy tasting is the food that Zeus eats more willingly, we don't have to beg to get him to eat it. I know I have taken Zeus to the vet many times because of this issue and they always find nothing wrong. I believe that some dogs are just very finicky. I know I have one. I have even tried cat food, and he will not even look at it.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I ate a dog treat once, it smelled like beef jerky, no joke didn't taste like it though. It was too bad if I had to eat to live I would

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was sitting here thinking man if dog food tastes bad to us how can a dog eat it and why do we make them eat something that tastes terrible.....then I remembered a lot of dogs eat poop, and I really don't want to taste test that....but I figure if they eat poop they will eat anything.

About 2 weeks ago my dog stopped eating. She wanted nothing I think she was sick, so I called the vet and got an appointment for the next day (cause she was acting lethargic and not drinking) then the next morning she was back to her normal lively self and would eat freeze dried liver, and canned food but wouldn't eat her food. I figured by wed (after 3 days) I would try the hamburger and rice over her food, well, that certainly got her eating again.

I weened her off the hamburger and rice but I still had to put warm water on her food....but last week when she came home from the vet from her spaying she is now back to being a ravenous eater of whatever I put out (TOTW)....dunno what changed with her.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts