German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our vet is about a 45 minute drive. I strapped both of them in the back seat of the car nervous they'd get into a quibble or freak out when I went over a bump. But they were fine there and back.

At the vet I asked them to muzzle. Zeeva's tail was between her legs and her heart was racing while the vet performed her physical. It was a sad sight. I wish she was as good as she used to be when she was a puppy. She was solid fearless and carefree.

Smokey growled a couple times. His tail also between his legs and he started doing flips on his prong before the vet tech reached him to hold him down. Again, another sad sight.

But this is why I drive far. Our vet is at Nellis AFB and they're a wonderful group. They're understanding and accommodating.

I left out the back door because there was another BIG dog in the waiting area. Relieved. It's. Over!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Hope the vet said your dogs were healthy! Or are you waiting for results from blood tests? We have to take two to the vet tomorrow a.m., Molly and a cat. But at least the cat will be in her kennel and controllable.

·
Registered
31,701 Posts
I have two dogs terrified of the vet's office. :( Thankfully, my vets are wonderful and so good with both of them. They both take their time and don't rush the dogs. I have to leave the room with Sierra or else she tries to hide behind me and they can't do anything.

Have you tried leaving the room? Sometimes they act completely different when their owners aren't there.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Hope all is well with your pups. Our vet retired and we had to find a new vet. I was a bit nervous at our first visit with how my dogs would react. They did great, in fact they seemed to like the vet/staff like they knew them, very relaxed. This vet cares for the animals at a local big cat rescue too.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Mine love going to the vet - a little too much at times, I seem to spend a lot of time and money there LOL
They know all the people there, they always get cuddles from the Vet Techs and they get excited and happy tail waggy to see the vet LOL

Hope your guys are all right :)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Zeeva I am going to make a suggestion and it will be a pita if you do it :)

Next vet checks, consider taking the dogs separately. It will mean you will start out with much less tension (only 1 dog, no worries starting out about scuffles in the back seat). 1 dog, you will have much better control over all with him, easier to read the body language dealing with just 1 dog at a time. With the one who is acrobatic, it may make it easier to position him and control the approach of the tech easier.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl loves going too. She likes everyone there.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Sounds like you need to do some socializing.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I feel ya Zeeva. Bart is so scared at the Vet's he pees. It totally sucks having to take them. Good thing you have a "wonderful group" :)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The dogs are anticipating/anxious about going to the vet and the whole journey and visit is reinforcing the anxiousness.

Some day drive up there and bring the dogs for a walk and let them realize the journey does not always lead to the vet. Even bring them into the vets and give them a few treats and leave. Get them used to and tolerant about going in the door and walking around. I will just bring my dogs into vets and get them weighed or buy some dog treats there to get the dog used to being in that environment. I also work on having the dogs in total control lying down to have ears examined or nails cut etc. That takes trust and respect from the dog and handler to achieve, with out the dog feeling threatened.

When you bring to the vet, bring for a walk before and after so to relax the dog. Act as if you are totally calm and in control always when handling dogs. Never let your own doubts or worries about the vets affect how you act. Always remain in control. If that means telling a vet to take his time and wait til the dog relaxes then so be it.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Mayhem is not thrilled about the vet. Kayos and Havoc are okay. I try to take the dogs up to the vet's just to hang out. They learn not every trip there = unpleasant. Bring lots of good cookies.

Hope they are both good and healthy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts