German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so switch dinner from frozen raw to chicken thighs, ground turkey, chicken liver, some cottage cheese and yogurt.

Max ate no problem, Callan who is 7 does not eat the liver (we have been trying that one for several days) ate the turkey but had a real hard time with the thigh. She worked on it for over 1/2 hr and finally gave up. I gave it to Max and gave her some frozen raw.

So what am I going to do for her? Have any of you run into the problem of one not being able to get thru the RMB? It did not even seem so much the bone was the issue as just the meat itself. She is a slower eater but I can't have her taking an hour to eat. Right now we are still doing kibble in the morning but if I decide to go raw I don't have all morning to watch her eat.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
How are Callens teeth?
Have you tried turkey necks? My dogs like those best. If she won't eat the larger bones, then maybe a few chicken necks in a meal will give her the bone ratio. Or chix backs.
As far as the liver, when it is partially frozen the dogs seem to accept it better(this goes for fish, too) My dogs will not eat fish if it is floppy, but a bit stiff they eat it down.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Her teeth were cleaned about 2 weeks ago and 2 removed. So I guess with that they are ok.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
If two were removed, I would think there is some sensitivity. I know when my wisdom teeth were taken out, I had sensitivity for a couple months. Maybe keep her on a premade for a couple more weeks. Then do the softer chicken bones.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
If it was only 2 weeks ago her mouth may still be tender.

You could try whacking up the bones in the chicken with a hammer or mallet (cover the stuff with a towel BEFORE whacking to minimize splatter).

FYI - there's no need for the cottage cheese and yogurt. Some dogs don't have problems with dairy but some do and since there's no need for it you might want to skip it at the beginning.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I will keep her on the pre-made awhile longer. I do not think it was so much the bones because she did not really even eat the meat around them. Just seemed more like it was tuff for her to chew the meat. Probably her mouth is still a bit tender.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts