German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's our fourth encounter with a coyote or pack of them. The first time they were in the woods of the cemetery making all sorts of howls and cries and strange shrieks to the point that I thought someone was dying. Not sure if they were mating or had a fresh kill and were feasting. The next time was at the same cemetery where Paw Paw and Nara and I got surrounded by a pack of 8-10 of 'em. That was a fun experience, and my first time ever seeing a wild coyote other than on TV. That full story has been posted on this board under the topic "GSD vs coyote" (or something similar to that), so I won't post it again. The third time was while we were sitting in our dining room to eat dinner, and a lone coyote just waltzed down the middle of our neighborhood street. That story was also posted in detail in the same thread mentioned above.

So this morning, aboud 30 minutes ago, I was biking in the cemetery with Nara and Beowulf. They were trailing behind me, and up ahead I noticed something running fast across the next lower hill. I thought someone else was in the cemetery exercising their dog, but when I searched for the dog's owner, I realized none existed, and the dog was actually a lone coyote. They're awesome to experience in the wild like that. My dogs were far enough back (and also worn out since we were done exercising and were heading home) that they didn't see or smell it. I followed the coyote from the higher hill I was on, and watched in amazement how graceful and quick he moved as he sprinted across the wide open fields to flee us. After he was out of sight, we turned and headed home across his path. I watched my dogs to see if their behavior changed when they were in the area where they might be able to pick up his scent, but I think after an hour of rigourous bike riding/running they could care less about a coyote and only wanted to head home to relax and grab a drink. Haha!

Just wanted to share! I love it here in Oregon!!! We'll be sad when we have to move again in 3 years, but we're happy to move back to the New England area to be closer to our families. We might also end up in PA or NY to be in the same state with them! We'll see...

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
48 reads and no replies. Someone cares, right? Haha. I'll have to tell better stories to draw more attention and inspire a reply or two. J/K. Maybe it's the difference in the time zones, and I posted it while everyone on the east coast was asleep, and by the time you got online, it was already near the bottom of the new topics.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
The coyote was running because he feared that your wolfdog would eat him :wild:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
We've heard several coyote get togethers the last few nights- sounds like there's 20 of them but I imagine it's just a few. Our last gsd was quite a hunter, she killed all kinds of critters but never attempted any contact with coyotes. She would join in the howling sometimes which sounded really cool- but kind of sad in a way

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
This is from a post that I put up in September of this year.

Just the other day I was standing at the kitchen table when, on the front lawn, I saw what I thought was a perfectly matched pair of GSDs. NOT! They were two Coyotes just ambling across the lawn. B'EL was on the front porch and quickly took after them. They were not at all interested in any close encounters and took off like rockets! Here's a bit of info that I got from the internet.
Coordinated group hunting among coyote packs is rare because of their ability to survive on small mammals such as gophers. When coyotes do attack large prey they form a coordinated hunting group and target the weak or old individuals. In addition, coyote packs have been observed to collaborate in order to protect and defend a valuable resource from intruders. Due to the fact that coyotes depend so heavily on small mammals for much of their food source they have developed an efficient solitary hunting method. Although coyotes have a highly developed solitary hunting method they only make a successful kills 10% to 50% of the time.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have seen one coyote in my life. I would be scared if surrounded (even at a distance) by 10 or so -- with my dogs. Do coyotes ever go after dogs?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I have a coyote story too, but it makes me sound really dumb, which is why I never told it before. I was trying to socialize Heidi with other dogs to try to curb her dog aggression. We were over at a remote part of the lake where Heidi could go swimming without other dogs. All of a sudden, this dog shows up, sanding maybe 20 feet from us, just looking, and I thought "oh crap, someone else is here with their dog." But, I figured I would try to make the best of it, and use it as a socializing exercise, so I called to the dog "here boy, here boy" and admonished Heidi to "be good." The animal just stood there looking at me like I had a screw loose. He didn't look aggressive, but he didn't look fearful either, just perplexed ("this person is talking to me?"). Then he turned and walked away. I realized afterward that it was a coyote.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
I suppose living in Central Texas, coyotes are such a common occurence we pretty much pay'em no mind and they us. I have a pack right behind the house that's been howlin up a storm since the colder weather has set it. Drives poor DJ nuts !!! He stands at the back door with his ears perked, lookin back at me occasionally as if to say, well aren't you gonna let me out so I can go investigate ? :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts