German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quck story, I had to work yesterday until 4pm so by the time I got home I had roughly 40 min of daylight left to do something with my girl.

I threw my boots and hat on, pocketed a bunch of cut up hotdogs and out to the field we went to work on some recalls and to let her run.

The field behind my house is 50 to 75 acres and rectangle for the most part so I figured we would start to the left close to the tree line and work our way around and end at or close to where we started.

We walked about 2 or 250 yards and the dog had her head burried in the snow by the tree line, I figured deer poop or rabbit poop and didn't pay too much attention to it so I recalled her and she came no problem........good girl. Then she got a treat from me and went right back to where she had her head in the snow? Another recall, she comes and I treat.....good girl.

I continue walking and see a deer run out from the corner of the field and I was expecting my girl to take off after it but she didn't even see it because she again had her head in the snow at the same spot? OK I have to see what is so great that she found, when I got there and saw what she had her nose in I dam near died!!!!! My girl came across a trap line!!!!!

OK I thought to myself, stay calm you HAVE to get her head out of there, a little whistle to get her attention then a recall, she comes, I treat......good girl but you have to wear this leash for a minute. Wow I thought to myself, if she stepped in there that would hurt like.........so bad. I ran the dog back to the house and I went back down to see if there were names on the traps but no, it's an illegal trap line.

I know my neighbor traps so I will ask him if they are his, if not I will be removing them. We got away with no injuries this time thank God. I guess we need to be careful out there and be aware of where you are walking your dog, it's legal to trap and I am not against it but you need to do it legally and at least as for permission. Be careful out there folks, Jeff

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Wow! Thank god she didn't get caught in that trap!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Nice work on the recall training.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts