German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally went to collect my little man Zeus from the rescue lady today. He is a lovely little fellow. He seems to be very quiet and sleepy at the moment. I am just very concerned about his size! The rescue shelter had the mom, she was in horrible condition, thin is an understatement. She looked flat out starved! I am going to take him to the vet asap on Monday to have him checked properly. I put him on the bathroom scale and he only weighs 5.5lbs! All his bones are sticking out. I dont know what to do. I was in tears when I picked him up. I hope he is going to be okay. I will post some picks soon.

Please someone tell me he is going to get fatter!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is he? Is he a purebred GSD?
Hi is assumed to be 10 weeks... he was rescued along with his mom and some litter mates. The rescue worker said the mom looks pure GSD (her ears where not fully erect though), and the male that was with them was a magnificint all black boy.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Congratulations! He'll gain weight. Glad you will be taking him to the vet for a full checkup. When I got my puppy...at 8 weeks old, she weighed about 6 lbs. She is 19 months old now and weighs about 64 lbs. :)

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
awe, what a cute little guy:wub:

Just come up with a healthy feeding plan for him. With lots of love & attention he will flourish.

Congrats on your new addition!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We obviously dont know too much about his lines! Does he look pure GSD? He has a few white hairs on his chest. Very cute little man!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
We obviously dont know too much about his lines! Does he look pure GSD? He has a few white hairs on his chest. Very cute little man!
pure or not he is absolutely adorable!:wub:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
White patches on the chest or toes is fairly common in gsd pups--Stosh still has a bit of white on his chest and he's 12 mos.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:wub: Im so in love :wub: He does have a few little white hairs between his toes! I dont care too much if he is pure GSD, would like to know of course, but he has stolen my heart, and I think he is perfect just the way he is!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ooo I just have to boast! I left the crate door open put a kong with some treats in and just left it there, when I came back he was snuggled in there fast asleep! Such a proud mamma.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Sounds like he's made himself right at home. I hope he gets a good report from the vet. I wouldn't be surprised if he had worms under the circumstances.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
looks as if he could be pure GSD, but know he's pure cute!

Congratulations.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like he's made himself right at home. I hope he gets a good report from the vet. I wouldn't be surprised if he had worms under the circumstances.
His tummy is not bloated and I did not see any evidence of worms in his stool. He has had a dose of wormer. I will just be happy once he has seen the vet. He does seem to have a slight discharge from his one eye. It is not mucus, but the area under his eye seems to get a bit wet.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
he is VERY cute!!! poor little guy, keeping fingers crossed he gets a good vet report:)

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Hard to tell but he may well be a purebred, will be easier to tell when he's older. He is a cutie pie! And he does look skinny but maybe he just needs some groceries. Small frequent meals would be good for him. I usually feed 3x a day when I have a pup, but you might feed him 4-6 small meals a day if you can. That should help put some weight on him. Canned food may help, but it may also cause soft poo so you'd have to test that out.

Royal cuteness is right though! He looks awful fuzzy so if he is purebred he may be a long coat - just like my solid black long coat girl!

About his eye wetness, possibly he had or has an eyelash turned under that is irritating his eye. Just a thought. Otherwise I have no clue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the advice spiritsmom! His mom had a long coat and the male we think is his dad also was very fuzzy!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts