German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog and I went to the dog park before I went to work. As soon as I got there two Airedales and a GS mix started attacking my dog while on leash. I was screaming and trying to get the dog off. I had a hole in my pants, bruises and cuts on my arms. It was probably the scariest experience of my life. How do I get over this and I believe my dog now has some leash aggression .

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
My dog and I went to the dog park before I went to work. As soon as I got there two Airedales and a GS mix started attacking my dog while on leash. I was screaming and trying to get the dog off. I had a hole in my pants, bruises and cuts on my arms. It was probably the scariest experience of my life. How do I get over this and I believe my dog now has some leash aggression .

Sounds very scary.

Are you saying you entered into the dog park with the dog on leash?
Where were the owners?

A few things could happen here:

1) You're probably not seeing leash aggression, but more than likely seeing your dog being afraid. (Can you blame him?)

2) Sorry to say that I suggest you keep your dog out of that park with those dogs. I don't put my dog with a "pack" in a dog park, because she's been bullied before, and it took me a long time to get her past it. Only now, at almost 2 years old, do I feel she's confident enough to not care who's near her.

3) You may need to rebuild his confidence at this point. One on one play dates, and if you insist an going to the dog park, be very selective before putting him in there. Stay outside, and get a feel for the pack. After a while, you'll know whether or not the dogs in there are getting along.

I've had two experiences. Both were sort of from dog parks. In both cases, I had to walk past the dog park to get to the beach area, and in both cases, an off leash dog came after my dog. Some dogs attract that unwanted attention.

Be careful, and protect your dog.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
What did the owners of the other dogs do? I would be livid and they would have known it. I hope you are both okay. I know how you feel, because my puppy was attacked at the dog park, thank God it was only one dog and the rest didn't join in for me:(

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah I don't know who's more frightened. I will stay away from dog parks and slowly introduce her to. I think she is also going through a phase where she is trying to defend herself but doesn't really know how, which can alter altercations. Her leash aggression is kind of scary and will try my best.
I went off on that guy. I was hitting his dogs and by the time he got his **** dogs I was screaming and crying at him. He told me to watch my mouth.
I have already reported him with ACC and parks and rec, but unfortunately since they didn't tear my skin, they could not do anything. Although I have bruises and scratches and holes in my pants. Apparently that was not enough.
I wish I could sue this guy just to show him how wrong it really is, his dogs are dangerous and should not be allowed in public, since he does not have any control over them.
Especially since he was unapologetic

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
How scary. It's sad that the good people are punished because of the bad. Buy yourself some pepper spray. I would have sprayed all of them including the owner accidentally of course, lol just kidding I would never advocate that :D
Was your girl hurt. Isn't he responsible for her vet fees?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually carry a big stick now and am staying away from dog parks. She was a little scared that day along with scratches and some bruises, nothing too big. She def would have told me if she was hurt. I am so mad that people have no control over their dogs. And Acc and dept of parks and Rec refuse to do anything

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
your dog has leash aggression but you took her to the
dog park while leashed.

Yeah I don't know who's more frightened. I will stay away from dog parks and slowly introduce her to. I think she is also going through a phase where she is trying to defend herself but doesn't really know how, which can alter altercations.

>>>>> Her leash aggression is kind of scary and will try my best.<<<<<

I went off on that guy. I was hitting his dogs and by the time he got his **** dogs I was screaming and crying at him. He told me to watch my mouth.
I have already reported him with ACC and parks and rec, but unfortunately since they didn't tear my skin, they could not do anything. Although I have bruises and scratches and holes in my pants. Apparently that was not enough.
I wish I could sue this guy just to show him how wrong it really is, his dogs are dangerous and should not be allowed in public, since he does not have any control over them.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
can you swing a big stick and hold your dog?

>>>> I actually carry a big stick now<<<<

and am staying away from dog parks.

She was a little scared that day along with scratches and some bruises, nothing too big. She def would have told me if she was hurt. I am so mad that people have no control over their dogs. And Acc and dept of parks and Rec refuse to do anything

·
Registered
637 Posts
this is why dog parks are a no no. when you enter a dog park if anything happens you cant bring charges against the party involved because you are absolving all liability by entering... if this happened outside the dog park you would have been able to sue the other owner..

never never bring a dog to a dog park, especially one with leash issues.....

do not go to a dog park again for the rest of your dogs life

·
Registered
744 Posts
Depends where you live. In CA each person is responsible for their dogs' actions at the dog park.

Also an attack can happen anywhere. Pepperspray and the least you can carry to defend yourself..

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
it's to much involved to say never go to a dog park. my dog
got into one scrap at the dog park. him and the dog he got
into with play together whenever we're at the dog park.

in the woods where we go there's a section that people gather
with their dogs. most of the time it's 15 to 25 dogs of all
breeds and sizes running around. i've been going to this gathering
for 5.5 yrs and i've never seen a fight.

this is why dog parks are a no no. when you enter a dog park if anything happens you cant bring charges against the party involved because you are absolving all liability by entering... if this happened outside the dog park you would have been able to sue the other owner..

never never bring a dog to a dog park, especially one with leash issues.....

do not go to a dog park again for the rest of your dogs life

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Sorry but I personally know too many people who have run into problems at dog parks. Not all owners watch their dogs or know what posturing to watch for and it then happens all too quick. I will not risk that wih my dogs.

Having dealt with leash aggression in the past, you need to find a good trainer to help you and your dog overcome this. IMO leash aggression has as much to do with the handler as it does the dog.

Keep your pup and others safe and skip the dog parks.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
it's to much involved to say never go to a dog park. my dog
got into one scrap at the dog park. him and the dog he got
into with play together whenever we're at the dog park.
Its actually very simple to avoid dog parks. Its great that your dog was able to recover from his/her incident at the dog park whether through training, breeding, or combination of both..you are fortunate.

Not all dogs recover quickly or at all. Like the OP, many think nothing of taking a dog with issues (known or not) to a park to "play" with other dogs. Many don't know their dogs display defensive or fearful behaviors around other dogs which can change the dynamics of what is "normal" in a dog park environment.

To suggest dog parks are a good place for ALL people to take their dogs because your dog does well in that environment is poor advice especially after you have acknowledged your dog was attacked in such a place.

As you can see I am not a dog park advocate but to each their own.

That's all for my rant today! :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
ive been to dog parks with my gsd, and they are all useless here. owners bring dogs that shouldnt be there, the parks are not monitored and the ones that are are clueless. too much owners on cell phones chatting and ignoring the dogs , too many fights, diseases (guardia, coccidia etc)
to me its not worth it, i dont need my dog being reactive after being attacked at a dog park lol... and to bring a dog with known leash issues to a dog park onleash is a huge no no....

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Yeah I don't know who's more frightened. I will stay away from dog parks and slowly introduce her to. I think she is also going through a phase where she is trying to defend herself but doesn't really know how, which can alter altercations. Her leash aggression is kind of scary and will try my best.

When my puppy got attacked there was a big group of people just standing around..about 10-15 people. I'm on the ground holding the jaws of a Rott that I don't know, so it can't clamp down on my puppy's head. My boyfriend had physically picked that Rott up and it still would not give. Then my boyfriend told the owner(a 100 pound female soaking wet) that if she didn't get the Rott off the puppy, he was going to stab it. He was going for his knife, I'm screaming for him not to stab the dog, the owner is crying hysterically and still no help from anyone else. The dog eventually let go and then acted like nothing happened. I did go after them for every penny of the vet bills and they paid it with no problems. That woman is lucky I didn't smack her afterward, but she looked so pathetic I didn't have the heart and plus I had to get my dog to the emergency vet asap...blood was everywhere on him and on my clothes. I do give the Rott credit, it never once attempted to go after me and I was right in his face. I got some small bite marks but that was from holding his mouth. I didn't go after them for that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My dog has been seriously attacked about 2 times, and both times she was under the other dogs crying for help. My dog never starts scraps, and if a dog snaps at her, she yips and gives the dog some space. The 2 times she was attacked it was because of the other dogs. I was pretty shaken up, but I still continue to take her to the park. I only do so because I trust that she won't start anything, and she's good about giving aggressive dogs space. If I were you I wouldn't isolate your dog from others, it could make things worse. Consult a dog trainer for the leash aggression if you're still having trouble. As for the dog park, that is your decision. There will always be some irresponsible dog owners, it's something you'll always have to deal with. if you choose to avoid dog parks, that's your choice and its understandable

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My dog has been seriously attacked about 2 times, and both times she was under the other dogs crying for help. My dog never starts scraps, and if a dog snaps at her, she yips and gives the dog some space. The 2 times she was attacked it was because of the other dogs. I was pretty shaken up, but I still continue to take her to the park. I only do so because I trust that she won't start anything, and she's good about giving aggressive dogs space. If I were you I wouldn't isolate your dog from others, it could make things worse.
Every time your dog gets attacked at a dog park it doesn't help. It can really turn a dog into a mess. It might not be now, but it can be later. If you come across a truly aggressive dog, your dog will be in serious danger. Most people don't want to put their dogs in danger. Its great that your dog doesn't start stuff, but one day she might finish it and that is putting her into a very bad situation. There are other ways to socialize a dog without isolating it. I hope that you never have to deal with your dog being seriously hurt or hurting another dog.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Know a good...

My dog and I went to the dog park before I went to work. As soon as I got there two Airedales and a GS mix started attacking my dog while on leash. I was screaming and trying to get the dog off. I had a hole in my pants, bruises and cuts on my arms. It was probably the scariest experience of my life. How do I get over this and I believe my dog now has some leash aggression.
...sniper?

LF

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
The OP didn't say dog had leash aggression previous to this incident. I missed this....OP thinks the dog may have leash aggression as a result of the attack...is how I read it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts