German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was going to be impossible to find a home to rent with 3 dogs. But, lo and behold we have done it. It is a one bedroom cottage on a lake. It has a small yard, with trails in the woods out back for walks. The neighbors are close (yuck) but there is a 6' privacy fence on either side. the rent is VERY affordable.

The living room.

Living room (different angle). Real granite fire place!

The front porch and lake. (the lake is kept stocked with Trout and Bass)

The kitchen (standing in the living room).

Another kitchen pic.

Part of the bedroom.

The bathroom.

Ok, now that I am done showing off . . . :D
Does anyone know where I can buy either cheap chain link fencing OR a large outdoor dog kennel for cheap? So far, Amazon.com is the best I can find with a 10Lx10Wx6H outdoor run for about $300.
My dogs aren't used to being confined. I currently own and live in my own home with a significant chunk of land. I feel bad enough that they won't have the freedom they currently enjoy (with supervision) without having to tie them out. I refuse to use a tie out! Thanks for any input!

·
5,627 Posts
Awesome looking place!

Have you checked Craigslist? I have been looking for a dog run too and have found quite a few kennels but none are what I need yet. Also, you can get temporary fencing at Home Depot or Lowes and I don't think it's that expensive.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
If you check at lowe's we found decent prices there. Though i couldnt quote off the top of my head.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Craigslist sometimes has kennels and such. You might want to try there.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't find ANYTHING on craigslist (sounds crazy, I know)! I will keep trying though.
I will look at Lowes website now! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I couldn't find ANYTHING on craigslist (sounds crazy, I know)! I will keep trying though.

also wanted to mention home depot might have them, since its getting to be warmer out again but Lowe's would be your cheaper bet still.

·
5,627 Posts
What have you been searching? I use kennel (and have to weed through crates) and "dog run". You could also search for fencing on craigslist in case someone is getting rid of extra fencing. Make sure you are checking in the for sale, pets and free sections. Good luck!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lowes is looking pretty good! Lucky for me we recently got one in our area.

I just feel so bad putting them in a kennel. It will be used only for early morning/late night potty runs. The trails and lake are for exercise!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice- I bet they'll love the lake! Good luck in your new home :)
Thanks, we will need it! None of us are used to close neighborhoods! But, everything else was perfect and, the price was too good to pass up.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Cheap but not something I'd use for when you're not there supervising - metal t-posts and stock field fencing (TSC and also sold at every major hardware store - we bought it at Lowes). You can get it up to 5 or 6 feet high, easy to put up and take down. You could make a much larger area with it than a kennel, but again, not as secure as a kennel.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheap but not something I'd use for when you're not there supervising - metal t-posts and stock field fencing (TSC and also sold at every major hardware store - we bought it at Lowes). You can get it up to 5 or 6 feet high, easy to put up and take down. You could make a much larger area with it than a kennel, but again, not as secure as a kennel.
Thanks! They won't be left unsupervised!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Your new home looks AMAZING! I am sure you and your babies are going to have a wonderful time there together. Im praying when it comes time for us to move we will be able to find a nice dog friendly rental as well. Best of luck.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! :)
It looks like I will be going with a 10x10 kennel and adding panels to make it 16x10! For a total price of about $400.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
glad you found a kennel that'll work for you!

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
what a gorgeous place !!!!! Glad you found something for fencing, I like Rerun's idea, and was going to suggest that, or,,it looks like you have split rail already,,does it encompass the property? IF so, get some wire fencing and tack it to the split rail:)

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Love the house inside, and the view of the lake is nice. With the woods right there you will have your own little nature trail. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts