German Shepherds Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hey,
I know this sounds like a naive question, but what do the push notifications do? What does the "push" button mean? I have no idea what those are, so I thought I'd ask...

·
Administrator
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Hey,
I know this sounds like a naive question, but what do the push notifications do? What does the "push" button mean? I have no idea what those are, so I thought I'd ask...
Not naive at all, these are toaster notifications that pop up on device for anything that you want notifications for. The locations will vary, for me it is in the upper right of my mac.

Let me know if you like the way they look and function for you!

-Gerrit

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
In the old forum it was easy to identify posts that I had responded to or a notification of 'likes'. How does this work in this new edition?

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
In the old forum it was easy to identify posts that I had responded to or a notification of 'likes'. How does this work in this new edition?
I want to go back. I don't feel at home here at all anymore. I know that someone did a lot of work on this, and I feel bad to be unhappy about it, but I can't get used to it at all.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I've worked in software management for many years, and I've seen this same thing many many times. It's a classic example of managers, or project managers, not gathering adequate requirements from users.

Sad...

Only thing this new format does do well is accommodate advertising REALLY WELL.

Literally EVERYTHING else about using it is more difficult! And yeah, that is sad...

·
Super Moderator
6,509 Posts
See attached photo. Yellow arrow shows (that little orange dot in the top right corner of my avatar) that you have a notification... click on your avatar and it’ll show if it’s an “alert” (a “like” falls into this category) or a “conversation” (previously PM), etc...

The purple arrow pointing to the eye... notice that it’s maroon instead of black? That’s a thread that I’ve responded to.

Hope that helps... not sure what things look in dark mode however.
A6C1FBF6-1996-48D9-95A2-C49B3490FB28.jpeg

·
Registered
833 Posts
I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this but...I've been getting computer viruses or malware from this website for a few years now. Anyone else? Just got one yesterday, which "locked" my screen and if I didn't know how to get out of it, I'd be getting a new laptop by now. I'm afraid one of these times, I'm not going to be able to get "fix" the problem. Am I the only one?

·
Administrator
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this but...I've been getting computer viruses or malware from this website for a few years now. Anyone else? Just got one yesterday, which "locked" my screen and if I didn't know how to get out of it, I'd be getting a new laptop by now. I'm afraid one of these times, I'm not going to be able to get "fix" the problem. Am I the only one?
Can you clarify what this looked like. Do you have a screenshot, or URL for the issue? If things like this are happening, we can work to blacklist or ban the issues causing it.
-Gerrit

·
Registered
833 Posts
Can you clarify what this looked like. Do you have a screenshot, or URL for the issue? If things like this are happening, we can work to blacklist or ban the issues causing it.
-Gerrit
Ok, I'll try to remember to take a screenshot the next time it happens. When that happens, I'm too frantic trying to get out of it than remember to take a picture of it. Usually it's a really loud nonstop beep noise. And it happens while I'm typing a response or just reading.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Tim touched on this, but I don't see any relevant answer to it. Discussions Created should show you what were previously Threads Started. When it shows on my profile 6 Discussions Created, I should see the discussions I CREATED, or began. Not everything I ever posted. Thats the only way its of any use.

·
Administrator
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Tim touched on this, but I don't see any relevant answer to it. Discussions Created should show you what were previously Threads Started. When it shows on my profile 6 Discussions Created, I should see the discussions I CREATED, or began. Not everything I ever posted. Thats the only way its of any use.
At this time, it is counting from the time the site was cut over.
-Philip

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
At this time, it is counting from the time the site was cut over.
-Philip
And that makes no sense. Its completely useless. In the past it was very helpful to look back on what someone asked previously to give some context to what they may be asking now.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
And that makes no sense. Its completely useless. In the past it was very helpful to look back on what someone asked previously to give some context to what they may be asking now.
Navigation in general is completely broken. This is where a few conversations with users would have helped immensely! Instead, someone - who clearly doesn't actually use the forum - decided how it should be. So now we have no way to view "threads"...

We also have no easy way to review an active thread before posting.

There's a link with a timestamp next to the latest post, and when you click on the title you're taken to the first "unread" comment, not the beginning of the thread.

For active threads, you end up in exactly the same place, the newest post. Not helpful!

It would be much more useful to provide navigation tools and let the user decide for themselves where they want to go...

I could go on, but it definitely feels like it's falling on deaf ears, as the old saying goes...

·
Administrator
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Navigation in general is completely broken. This is where a few conversations with users would have helped immensely! Instead, someone - who clearly doesn't actually use the forum - decided how it should be. So now we have no way to view "threads"...

We also have no easy way to review an active thread before posting.

There's a link with a timestamp next to the latest post, and when you click on the title you're taken to the first "unread" comment, not the beginning of the thread.

For active threads, you end up in exactly the same place, the newest post. Not helpful!

It would be much more useful to provide navigation tools and let the user decide for themselves where they want to go...

I could go on, but it definitely feels like it's falling on deaf ears, as the old saying goes...
Can you clarify what you're looking to navigate to when needing help finding "threads" Do you mean your own threads or specific ones in the forum sections?

As for the other request did you know where you click on the thread will navigate you to different locations:

• Clicking the thread title will take you to where you left off, the 1st unread post.
  • Clicking the timestamp below the title will take you to the 1st post of the thread.
  • Clicking the timestamp above the last poster user takes you to the last (newest) post.
Let me know if that helped any.
-Gerrit

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Can you clarify what you're looking to navigate to when needing help finding "threads" Do you mean your own threads or specific ones in the forum sections?
The 2 most common uses, at least for me, is to view my own and those of another, specific individual. It is possible - though not easy - to view my own "threads" or "discussions", but on a mobile device I see no way to view those of another specific user.

Advanced search let's you specify a particular user, but the results are not discussions, it's every response or "post" that person has made in all discussions...not helpful! In fact, I personally can think of no instance where I'd want to see that. It's simply too much noise to wade through!

Again, I am currently restricted to accessing the forum on my Android phone, and the use case here is backstory. How old is a poster's dog, is this the first time they've had this particular issue with their dog, what other issues have they had in the past?

As for the other request did you know where you click on the thread will navigate you to different locations:

• Clicking the thread title will take you to where you left off, the 1st unread post.
  • Clicking the timestamp below the title will take you to the 1st post of the thread.
  • Clicking the timestamp above the last poster user takes you to the last (newest) post.
Let me know if that helped any.
-Gerrit
The middle option you mention, the timestamp under the title, is not present on my mobile device. So the only way to revisit the first post is to walk back through the thread page by page...

·
Administrator
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
The 2 most common uses, at least for me, is to view my own and those of another, specific individual. It is possible - though not easy - to view my own "threads" or "discussions", but on a mobile device I see no way to view those of another specific user.

Advanced search let's you specify a particular user, but the results are not discussions, it's every response or "post" that person has made in all discussions...not helpful! In fact, I personally can think of no instance where I'd want to see that. It's simply too much noise to wade through!

Again, I am currently restricted to accessing the forum on my Android phone, and the use case here is backstory. How old is a poster's dog, is this the first time they've had this particular issue with their dog, what other issues have they had in the past?

The middle option you mention, the timestamp under the title, is not present on my mobile device. So the only way to revisit the first post is to walk back through the thread page by page...
We're working on improving these abilities for mobile users and appreciate the update on precisely what we can do to help you find a resolution.

Thanks,
Gerrit

81 - 99 of 99 Posts