German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
Eeeeek!!!! Now I see the stalker thing, I wonder if the guy that is now following me, whether his wife is ok with that? LOL!!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I hate change. I have no time. As it was, I could only check in once and a while, but it was easy. I'd go to active topics, take a look, & maybe post. I don't have time to figure out new things. Oh, well.
it's a jumbled mess on my computer, I can't find anything, I can't see anything, but was pretty much out the door anyway, so...

·
Registered
233 Posts
And on that banner, it would be nice to see maybe a working line dog, like something sable, a long haired dog, not all the same German showline dog and one pup. You know, be more inclusive? We don't all have German Showlines.
I can't take a picture to save my life so didn't bother to add to the banner thread, but more than one person did I believe.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Where is this follow stalker thing you speak of? How do I see if someone is stalking me (oh sorry...following me)? Guide me to enlightenment my friends...
You see a follow button, for want of a better term, on the bottom of a person's profile, by clicking on their username or avatar...or an unfollow if you're already following them. This latter is how your friends show up...

·
Super Moderator
6,651 Posts
And on that banner, it would be nice to see maybe a working line dog, like something sable, a long haired dog, not all the same German showline dog and one pup. You know, be more inclusive? We don't all have German Showlines.
I can't take a picture to save my life so didn't bother to add to the banner thread, but more than one person did I believe.
these feelings are shared by many and have been posted various places... hopefully it is something that will be addressed in the near future. quite a few members submitted photos but either due to a deadline (that was not shared with us), or because of quality, lighting, shadows, angle, obstructions, etc.. they weren’t used.

·
Registered
233 Posts
@Fodder, I was out doing barn chores, and apparently the thread you asked a question to me was locked. Yeah, my problem is 2 fold--the fact that I can not EVER change my username (I requested it, explained why (a nutty stalker), was told by Admin that it could simply NOT be done) my username is unique to me--it's my horse's registered name and I've used it for over 20 years. I made a mistake when I signed up here, didn't mean to chose my email address as my username, but apparently, that's what I did. I am not at all anonymous here, not a tiny bit.

So, the ease of sharing our posts to Facebook with just one click kinda freaks me out. I don't generally create threads, well I created 2 in 5 months...but if I wanted my info all over facebook I'd put it there. I do use FB, but not the social part of it, just for posting my chicken, horse, dog, goose, canary and finch pictures.

I'm another one who's not happy that that the sharing button cannot be removed/disabled. Some of us are not on social media intentionally. We freely shared knowledge here for years here in part because it wasn't the cesspool of toxicity that is FB -- now our old posts are suddenly shareable to FB. If you won't disable the share button entirely, can you at least disable it for all that existed before the conversion?
Yep, Magwart, exactly my point. That would be great to only share from now on, and not on past posts. Then we can opt out by not posting if we choose.

·
Administrator
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
When you go to add in a new item in the showcase it looks like the sections are templates for a car based forum. I'm not sure what kind of exhaust, drive train, suspension, or interior my puppy has....

I would rather see dog based tags for each entry! haha

Please see screen shots below:

View attachment 555941 View attachment 555942
I believe this is updates, apologies if it showed any confusing terms.

I am not seeing a listing of my friends on my profile.

I also am not seeing an option to edit a recently posted comment or to delete it.
This is now called following, so you know whose posts you can follow along with. :)

Editing is only available within 24 hours, though we're maybe working on expanding out that function further in the future. You should see a button next to the post time stamp to make that amendment

I had smooth sailing logging in but I never log out and I have my information saved.
Have you seen this functionality under your avatar?

Is it possible to change my flag? I'd rather have the Texas flag :D(y)
At this moment we are not getting that granular, but we may move forward with that function into the new year.

So after looking around and exploring I have come up with a couple questions

1. On the old site there were membership options that had benefits like larger album space, larger avatar etc. Is that option still available?

2. If there are no membership upgrade options are there still limits on album space, etc?

3. Image size: are there still restrictions on image size?

If this info is located somewhere already please point in that direction
TIA
1 Member perks are being expanded upon and built out, but some features are already currently available. Let me know what specifically you're looking to see :)
2 Currently there are no limits for any registered user
3 Depends on the location, in your signature, yes, in text, yes but it is a different restriction, in albums or a showcase, yes as well but also larger images are allowed here.

How do you reverse the thread comments to make the last comment the first? Thanks!
Currently you can only view things in chronological order, but you can jump to different page loads depending on where you click in the thread

• Clicking the thread title will take you to where you left off, the 1st unread post.
  • Clicking the timestamp below the title will take you to the 1st post of the thread.
  • Clicking the timestamp above the last poster user takes you to the last (newest) post.
the new banner is not representative of the membership....it pretty much all looks like the same dog........the last one was at least representative of other types but this one is barely hinting that there are anything but showlines! Also it was difficult to add photo )at least for me!) for consideration in the banner...don't like it AT ALL
The front page showcase is currently going to be the most representative, but if there is enough community concern I can talk to our creative team about updating the banner. They are currently backlogged so this may not be able to be tackled immediately.

Is Garrett still with us? I'm starting to feel abandoned...lots of questions piling up.
I am here, just working on some fixes, sorry to make you feel abandoned, hoping to address all questions. :)

Why are Popular and What's New separate categories? I just posted a reply to a thread and couldn't find it again. I finally located it under Popular. Seems to me that since it was a new post it would have been under new. Shows how much I know!

And no, I'm not impressed so far.
New is the newest unread post, Popular is the most active thread. That may overlap sometimes, may not other times. You can adjust your "New" filters to also still display threads you've responded to if you want. Let me know if you want me to coach you through those settings.

@ administrator aka Gerrit are you still around? In this discussion and this one
There have been some questions asked and issues observed regarding the upgrade with no public response. Starting to get the impression of being ignored and not the support promised.

Migrations are a lot of work behind the scenes and you may very well be addressing some of the issues mentioned. But, we don't know what if anything can be done or is being done.

I get that a lot of the comments are about not liking the change and we will adjust eventually. That said there have been some valid questions asked and performance concerns with the upgrade mentioned that I personally feel should be addressed in public posts for all to read.

Some acknowledgement would be greatly appreciated ?
I'll pop into that discussion too Apologies for the delay, the post Thanksgiving catch up left me a tad busy, but I should be here, and I am also going to bring in a team to ensure y'all don't go too long without a response.

Has anyone found a way to list threads you've, or someone else has, initiated? Posts I see, but the ability to see threads by a given user seems to have been lost.
Check out your Discussions on your profile for this functionality.

@Fodder, I was out doing barn chores, and apparently the thread you asked a question to me was locked. Yeah, my problem is 2 fold--the fact that I can not EVER change my username (I requested it, explained why (a nutty stalker), was told by Admin that it could simply NOT be done) my username is unique to me--it's my horse's registered name and I've used it for over 20 years. I made a mistake when I signed up here, didn't mean to chose my email address as my username, but apparently, that's what I did. I am not at all anonymous here, not a tiny bit.

So, the ease of sharing our posts to Facebook with just one click kinda freaks me out. I don't generally create threads, well I created 2 in 5 months...but if I wanted my info all over facebook I'd put it there. I do use FB, but not the social part of it, just for posting my chicken, horse, dog, goose, canary and finch pictures.

Yep, Magwart, exactly my point. That would be great to only share from now on, and not on past posts. Then we can opt out by not posting if we choose.
Username changes should be covered in our FAQ, but please start a conversation with us to get this looked at :)
Social media interaction is an open option but only if you select to do so.

Hope that sufficiently tackled all concerns, otherwise let me know

-Gerrit

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Still waiting to hear why we can't turn off sharing as an option on our posts -- at least the old ones before the change, but ideally the new ones -- like have a button that we can set up "do not allow my posts to be shared." It's like the forum has been taken over by the worst millennial stereotypes -- trophies and over-sharing -- and it's honestly not conducive to keeping the older people who actually have the knowledge and experience engaged here. Some of us want separation from social media that so it takes extra work for someone to post links and screenshots....those extra steps create a time lag for people to reconsider whether they really want to do it, and not just do it reflexively by clicking a button.

I think part of the problem may be that the forum design by a generation so steeped in social media creates a disconnect from those of us who actively avoid it. The designers likely can't even imagine why we feel this way.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Check out your Discussions on your profile for this functionality.
Discussions is a listing of my posts, not my threads. Conversations are what PMs used to be.

And that's why I was asking, because it does seem like "My Discussions" SHOULD show my discussions, not my posts. That's a bug no?

I can adjust the filter under "new" to show my discussions, but it only displays 3 of them. Is that intentional? Where are my other, older discussions?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Although you can certainly protect your profile privacy from guests
This is a great thing!
I just went in and adjusted all my privacy settings, I highly recommend this to everybody...

Click on the little avatar of you in the upper right, click on "Account Settings" and click on "Privacy" in the righthand menu.
If you want to be super-private, you can even make it so NOBODY can see a thing (although I set mine to just be visible to forum members.)

( Did we have this in the old forum? If so, I never found it. This is a nice function.)

·
Administrator
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Discussions is a listing of my posts, not my threads. Conversations are what PMs used to be.

And that's why I was asking, because it does seem like "My Discussions" SHOULD show my discussions, not my posts. That's a bug no?

I can adjust the filter under "new" to show my discussions, but it only displays 3 of them. Is that intentional? Where are my other, older discussions?
This may take a moment (up to a week sometimes) to index properly from the move, but using the advanced search function should still show you they're all there still. If this doesn't clear up in that time, let us know and we can work to manually fix things.

Sue was banned? What the heck?
If you can link me to their profile I can look into if you wish.

-Gerrit

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Here too? It was annoying enough on DogForums. Sigh... I guess this means that DobermanTalk is probably next. :(

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
This may take a moment (up to a week sometimes) to index properly from the move, but using the advanced search function should still show you they're all there still. If this doesn't clear up in that time, let us know and we can work to manually fix things.

If you can link me to their profile I can look into if you wish.

-Gerrit
Wow

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
@Administrator
Can images be deleted from ones album by the album owner?

I found in the album privacy settings how to make images viewable only by owner but no option to actually delete them.
The ability to delete images from your own album was an available feature in the old site version.

I sent the question to support staff through the contact us link on the site a few days ago. I got a reply this morning.
Phil B from California Site Help replied for me to send a link to item/s I wanted to be deleted.

This didn't really answer my question other than to imply that once a member posts images to their album (including those migrated over) that currently and possibly always they are not removable from the site by the member album owner but rather by site administration by request only. Is this the case? I certainly hope not. What if someone oopsies and posts an image they didn't mean to post into their album? What if member wants to clean up their online presence? Once an image is posted is the site claiming ownership of the image?

41 - 60 of 101 Posts