German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our guy is not snipped, nor do I want to unless it's very necessary.

We used to be able to take him to the doggie day care and play with 100s of dogs all day long. Drained his energy right out.

Now his exercise is me playing ball, playing tug, taking him on walks. He's lost the ability to socialize because no facility will take him because he's intact.

Dog parks are not an option because everywhere around here requires you have license, and we don't because we can't get one, because he's intact.

So, not going to run that risk of 1) Getting caught. 2) Have a dog fight and somehow the animal cops come.

He wants to play with other dogs so bad. When we go for walks, every dog he sees he wants to play. Poor guy. He used to play with 100s of dogs a few times a week. Then he hit 6 months and the facilities now treat him like he has a disease.

SUCKS!

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
My intact male has excellent social skills but he is not allowed to play with anybody though we train a lot around team dogs. Getting involved in something like Agility or other dogsport might allow him to interact with other dogs in a non play way.

But he never was. Just keep up having him learn to ignore other dogs and keep playing with him. Honestly, I think it is a better way.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah, he's so friendly to all of them when they are put into "neutral" environments.

He was socialized pretty heavily up to age 6 months. After that he was banned from doggie day cares for having his parts.

The one place that he is a total tyrant towards other dogs is when he is in his yard separated by the fence, and other dogs walk by on the street. It's like he's possessed. Nothing I do can snap him out of it. The hackles go up and he becomes a fence runner for the entire time from when he sees the dog coming until they are well down the block.

9 out of 10 times I have him on his 20 foot lead when I go into the front yard, but when I forget, he's just not having anything. His recall is like zero when he sees another dog on the street. He's the master of his own property and he doesn't want anyone near it.

NOW, here is where it gets interesting. He barks at his doggie friends in a very serious way, UNTIL you bring the other doggie INSIDE the fence and then they are best buddies again.

Crazy dog. LOL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts