German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some insight if anyone has ideas...Izaak has been having diarrhea intermittently since this last summer. It started after a trip to the lake. I thought it had to be Giardia, we didnt see any on a fecal (there was a lot of bad bacteria-Clostridium) but still treated with Metronidazole in case of Giardia and because of bacteria. It seemed to get better briefly but came back soon after. We have tried Metronidazole 3 seperate times in the course of this happening. Sometimes it gets better, other times it does not. I had even dewormed him even though we weren't seeing parasites. He also has hair loss along his legs occasionally. Nothing on skin scrapings..treated with antibiotics (cephalexin) thinking it was allergies. He has been on TOTW but ordered a bag of Science Diet z/d in the thoughts that it is a food allergy...I have even tried a bland diet of low residue food. Sometimes there is blood present but not always. He has accidents in the house because he can't hold it. No vomiting, weight loss or other symptoms....Suggestions/thoughts/ideas?!?!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Have you had a giardia antigen test done? If he has it and gets better on the flagyl, it's very easy for them to reinfect. Has he been checked for IBD or SIBO?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Giardia antigen test was negative. Not sure on the accuracy with these either, but numerous fecal tests have turned up negative for Giardia as well, so I think it may be safe to say this isn't the cause? I have not done any testing for IBD, I wasn't sure if I should try the food trial first for possible allergies since this is less evasive than a biopsy??

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh had giardia and subsequent bacterial overgrowth-- he was on amoxicillin and that cleared it up. He had the same watery diarrhea, cramping, etc.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You can try an elimination diet IBD and allergies, but I would test for SIBO first as that's fairly easy to treat.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Not to say this is the reason but I had a dog that did this a lot, every thing I tried went through him. Somone told me to try Berte's Digestion blend. Here is a description. it worked for my dog and its very cheap.

Description: Berte's Digestion Blend contains beneficial bacteria, pancreatic enzymes, amino acids and medicinal herbs in a convenient powder form. Designed to help heal the entire gastrointestinal system, this formula is beneficial for dogs suffering from Irritable Bowel Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Colitis, GI disorders and chronic diarrhea.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you test for SIBO?Wanda that sounds very interesting. Where can I get this diet?

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Let me look it up and I'll give you the link. Its a powder you put over food and the dogs love it. I even give it to all my dogs now..Max and Enzo are nuts for it

·
Registered
84 Posts
The SIBO test is run through a blood draw. It's not invasive at all. I've had long term issues with my 5 yr old GSD w/ diarrhea. He had a lot of trouble at first, then I changed protein sources and found a food that worked well for him. But he would still have occasional flare-ups of diarrhea. They finally diagnosed him with IBD.

So the tough part is that even if your dog does better on the z/d, it could be allergies, or it could be IBD or SIBO. SIBO would be easy to rule out first though. Have you already tried a different, single, protein source for food?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
It does sound like giardia or SIBO. I've used the Berte's Digestion Blend before. It worked great for Chama but not for Rafi.

Are you using probiotics? I would definitely start a good, human-grade, probiotic. The magic supplement for Rafi is Honest Kitchen's Perfect Form. For IBD I usually recommend Phytomucil by Animal's Apawthecary but I think it would be better to figure out exactly what's going on before throwing random supplements at it (except probiotics which will be beneficial no matter what).

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you don't have a probiotic yet, a very simple one that has worked great for my dog is the NOW Acidophilus 3 billion (stabilized). All it contains is acidophilus, so it's easier on dogs that can be more sensitive. And b/c it is stabilized, it doesn't need refrigeration.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have had him on Culturelle for probiotics. We have tried different single protein sources as well. I looked in our books for send out labs. I am going to run a Cobalamine/Folate test for possible SIBO as well as a TLI for possible EPI. Might as well rule that out while Im sending labs out, even thought it doesn't fit the symptoms....

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have had him on Culturelle for probiotics. We have tried different single protein sources as well. I looked in our books for send out labs. I am going to run a Cobalamine/Folate test for possible SIBO as well as a TLI for possible EPI. Might as well rule that out while Im sending labs out, even thought it doesn't fit the symptoms....
Good idea on the TLI in addition to the Cobalamin/Folate.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hopefully it will give me some answers... I feel so bad for him, its got to be miserable!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I feel bad for my carpets as well...poor poor white carpets. (I did NOT put white carpet in, it was the color when I bought the house lol)!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts