German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So around a week ago, my girl began to have very bad, explosive diarrhea in her kennel. We bathed her, and then she had another episode that shot all over my bathroom wall. Bathed again, put in her kennel for a few and she vomited a large amount. The vet wrote of a script for some Metronidazole and gave us probiotics to put in her food. The issue resolved. Fast forward a week, this morning around 2am she began whining in her kennel. Very out of the norm for her so we got up to check. She once again vomited in her kennel. We bathed her, let her out and put her back up. It’s now around 10 am. She’s once again having diarrhea very watery. Not in the house or kennel thus far THANKFULLY. Anyone have any ideas what going on here?

The first episode we attributed to maybe a bad roll of fresh pet which I was using when training. But it was freshly opened and in date. Regardless, I ditched it and have not used it again. She gets kibble 2x per day. She’s been on this kibble for quite some time now. I do feed a larger ration at night than in the morning however. She’s keeping herself hydrated so that does not seem to be an issue. The only thing i can think to attribute it to is maybe some kind of weed or something outside that she’s eating..? I haven’t noticed anything specific however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Has your vet already run a fecal test? Watery diarrhea is pretty typical of several different parasites (giardia, coccidia, etc.). Most dogs don't vomit with giardia or coccidia, but some sure do. Giardia isn't always visible in them, so not seeing it doesn't mean it's not there, but sometimes we get lucky and spot it. Metro usually helps but sometimes they need panacur added to the metro with giardia. Coccidia requires totally different meds.

Depending on age, I'd be thinking about: parvo test (puppies drop from it but adolescents just get bad GI distress without dropping usually), giardia test, full bloodwork. You might also talk with the vet about ordering the IDEXX Diarrhea PCR test (it covers both parvo and giardia, plus a lot more, with a lot more bang for your buck...around $200 for a slew of different GI infections). We've had some really weird stuff come back positive in that test on dogs with diarrhea that cycled on and off.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just left the vet again. He’s thinking poss giardia but we were unable to locate an exact cause today. We did a fecal with send out. He also mentioned it possibly being stress related from going into heat. Said her fecal had some mucous in it so it could even be colitis however, she is not exhibiting the normal straining behavior. We’re going to fast her today and start a bland diet tomorrow.

Last but not least he mentioned that it could be a pancreatic insufficiency that some shepherds get. He said prob not bc she’s so young but that we need to keep it in the back of our heads. Fingers crossed that it’s not that

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Occurred again..getting blood work/ultrasound/ xrays today. Vet is thinking epi or food sensitivity.

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
Does EPI present like sporadically? I don't think it does. IBD maybe but not EPI. You were out of your area this weekend so I would look at things like giardia.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does EPI present like sporadically? I don't think it does. IBD maybe but not EPI. You were out of your area this weekend so I would look at things like giardia.
I honestly have no idea how any of this presents. She was treated with abx last time. The stool became more formed but never completely hardened. Does giardia happen that frequently?. I looked at vet paperwork last night. It’s every 3 weeks. Almost on the dot. The vomit smells like stool. It’s bad. Hopefully they figure out whatever it is.

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
hmmmm.... I've never experienced anything like that but I think if it's EPI then they need to have the enzyme, not abx.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmmm.... I've never experienced anything like that but I think if it's EPI then they need to have the enzyme, not abx.
Right...hopefully they figure something out today...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sent off bloodwork yesterday, did x Ray. Began feeding again, diarrhea again this morning. At least it was outside and not in her kennel. No telling what will be waiting for me after work. Other than the diarrhea, she’s her happy self...weird and frustrating.

The vet stated, “I hope this isn’t the beginning of a bigger issue.”

Worrisome....

Blood work should be back in a week or less. I guess we’ll lay low until then.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we got a CBC and chem panel as lagniappe. But they also did a gi panel, I believe it is much like the one magwart mentioned above.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
X Ray showed nothing obvious but they send it out to be read as well

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only thing abnormal in the blood work was the following. X Ray just showed unformed stool in the colon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts