German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to dispense water to a dog that is in a crate?

I'm thinking of these warmer days and nights that it might be nice for Ruby to have a little water.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I have one of these -
http://www.gundogsupply.com/stainsteelke1.html

And one of these -
http://www.lixit.com/Merchant2/merchant....de=Dog_Products

The problem with the stainless steel bowls is that they take up a lot of space on the inside of the crate, especially the larger sized ones. The one I have is the size of my regular stainless food and water bowls, and that's a pretty significant amount of space inside the crate, especially hanging from the front door where the dog can nudge and spill it.

I'm now using the Lixit bottle almost exclusively on the crate. Since it attaches to the outside of the crate, it doesn't take up any space on the inside except the little bit where the part the dog licks sticks through. It attaches pretty securely and they figure out quickly how to use it. Problem with that is, it can and sometimes does leak. Not so much an issue with a Varikennel since it has that border on the inside of the crate with the slightly raised platform. With a crate that's just flat on the inside, that might soak bedding or bother the dog.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I put a small ss dish in the corner, attached to the side and elevated, sitting under a lixit (brand?) type dispenser. If the small dish goes empty, the dog uses the dispenser. The dish also catches any drips. Being in the corner, and elevated off the floor, it takes up very little space. Also, the dog (a visitor or foster) gets to drink out of a larger dish while outside the crate, many times each day.

If it's just a crate for the dog to sleep in during the night, I let him/her drink before going in, and don't worry about it during the night.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We have a glass water bottle that I picked up at a local pet store. It is the "hamster" style with the spout tube and ball bearing. He can't get a lot of water at once with it, but it keeps him hydrated. You are wise to want to do this, especially this time of year.

I like glass because I think there are health issues long term with plastic - and also because the first one I tried was plastic and it was garbage, it just didn't work.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Originally Posted By: LedZep there are health issues long term with plastic -

That's true, at least with some types of plastic used for water containers. That's one reason I use the Lixit only for a backup water supply. Also, some dogs aren't as quick to learn to use the Lixit.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I use these except they are the round ones not the flat sided buckets:

I tried the bottles- Rayne CRUSHED the licky metal part on three the very first time she used them, as a puppy.
She wasn't even a year old and I gave up on the bottles. She is the only one that that bashes her bucket when she decides to. She should have been a drummer. She reminds me so much of Animal from the Muppets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts