German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking for some toy recommendations for Dean.
He has this Jolly Pets ball, and he loves it. But as I found out the hard way last week, when he decided to take it out and drop it into a still very frigid Lake Superior, it doesn't float very well. This one is also hollow (Probably why it doesn't float well?) And has a nice give when he chews it.
I am looking for one similar, that holds up to a little bit of chewing, and some heavy tug. Those are his rewards for bringing it back, so I need it to be able to hold up. He will only get it when we play in the water, so he won't be able to sit and just chew it up, but still.
photo of Dean and the ball I am talking about

Attachments

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
I like the chuck it bumpers they float and come in bright colors and light weight. I get the large size. They like tug but left out it can get destroyed. For some tugging and then some play and it has been tossed around in some rough oceans. I always put it away after it is for beach fun only. Some photos because I miss the water and just to show you how much use it gets during the water season. Even when the sun starts to goe down it’s east to see with the bright color.
https://www.amazon.com/Chuckit-Amphibious-Bumper-Assorted-Colors/dp/B001AQZ4FE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?adgrpid=55673824026&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-Zyk6dH74QIVlkwNCh12zwPqEAAYAiAAEgLsdvD_BwE&hvadid=274682748192&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9004572&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=6750126693098062871&hvtargid=kwd-299779765899&hydadcr=14531_9765689&keywords=chuckit+bumper&qid=1556758650&s=gateway&sr=8-2

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Those foam balls are great to I always look for something light and non abrasive for their teeth. Just as long as no water can get in the holes between the string. The yellow sticks are good my dogs just never like them and a lot of water can pool in the middle depending if they are picked up the wrong way in the water it could be used like a straw, so I would not use them for water sports or water play. Max’s favorite ball the glow n dark chuck with the hole in the middle i rarely take to beach. I Do use it at the beach for training but not for not frequent water tosses. Any holes in the middle of any toy can pool water and if your dog loves to swim and you spend hours at the beach it would mean lots of salt water intake. so I would avoid anything that can pool up any additional water in their mouth it can be deadly. I know this because it happened years ago and lucky Max actually threw up thankfully all that extra salt water (that was pooling in the middle of a hole in the ball)after immediately not looking right was fine right after. I am always careful what I bring to the beach, how long they fetch, how long they swim , how long in the water and forced breaks.
So this is a great thread for water toys.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the chuck it bumpers they float and come in bright colors and light weight. I get the large size. They like tug but left out it can get destroyed. For some tugging and then some play and it has been tossed around in some rough oceans. I always put it away after it is for beach fun only. Some photos because I miss the water and just to show you how much use it gets during the water season. Even when the sun starts to goe down it’s east to see with the bright color.
https://www.amazon.com/Chuckit-Amphibious-Bumper-Assorted-Colors/dp/B001AQZ4FE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?adgrpid=55673824026&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-Zyk6dH74QIVlkwNCh12zwPqEAAYAiAAEgLsdvD_BwE&hvadid=274682748192&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9004572&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=6750126693098062871&hvtargid=kwd-299779765899&hydadcr=14531_9765689&keywords=chuckit+bumper&qid=1556758650&s=gateway&sr=8-2
That is super bright. I was tossing some large sticks for Dean the other day at sunset, and he was having trouble seeing a few of them. I bet he would be able to see that though.
It would also only be used at the lake for fetching, and a little hard tug. It's his reward for bringing it back, and he also gets all fired up after a couple minutes of tug. I just need something to hold up to that haha
I love your photos by the way. Really makes me crave summer when I can get in the water and not lose feeling in my toes lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a "Ruff Dog Stick" in yellow. It's easy to throw and it floats. After a good bit of play it seems to sink but will come back to the surface every time. The yellow is easy to see on the water surface.
https://ruffdawg.com/wpcproduct/stick-twig/
Those look awesome. Especially since I was getting him to go in after larger sticks last time we went, but he was losing sight of a few of them.
It says it's scented. Whats the scent lol One reason I love his ball is that it's vanilla scented. Even after almost a year of abuse, it still smells nice lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those foam balls are great to I always look for something light and non abrasive for their teeth. Just as long as no water can get in the holes between the string. The yellow sticks are good my dogs just never like them and a lot of water can pool in the middle depending if they are picked up the wrong way in the water it could be used like a straw, so I would not use them for water sports or water play. Max’s favorite ball the glow n dark chuck with the hole in the middle i rarely take to beach. I Do use it at the beach for training but not for not frequent water tosses. Any holes in the middle of any toy can pool water and if your dog loves to swim and you spend hours at the beach it would mean lots of salt water intake. so I would avoid anything that can pool up any additional water in their mouth it can be deadly. I know this because it happened years ago and lucky Max actually threw up thankfully all that extra salt water (that was pooling in the middle of a hole in the ball)after immediately not looking right was fine right after. I am always careful what I bring to the beach, how long they fetch, how long they swim , how long in the water and forced breaks.
So this is a great thread for water toys.
I don't have to worry about salt water thankfully, only fresh water here. A friend of mine from Florida though, just had one of her dogs spend almost a week at the vet due to water intoxication, and complications due to it being salt water. That was very scary.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Those look awesome. Especially since I was getting him to go in after larger sticks last time we went, but he was losing sight of a few of them.
It says it's scented. Whats the scent lol One reason I love his ball is that it's vanilla scented. Even after almost a year of abuse, it still smells nice lol
Haha! Good question on the scent. We've had ours for 3-4 years and I don't remember it ever being scented.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Chuckit-Amphi...gateway&sr=8-2

I use one of those too but they get destroyed pretty quickly.
Beautiful clean sand and water wherever that is!

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
@Datura - Florida water are absolutely gorgeous. I hope your friends dog is okay and gets out soon. Saltwater intoxication is dangerous and with a eager dog it is more so. Fresh water though is dangerous. With pools or fresh water lakes you still get- forget the name- but it is water intoxication to worry about just not salt. Every time a dog takes in water more then they produce it causes a great danger to the dog. That is why I mention anything anhthing that pools water . Oceans , pools , lakes all have different set of dangers that should be aware of. With that though anything incredible has its risks you have to be aware and be safe. Will love to see water photos! One of the favorite things to do with my dogs is to swim with them and cool off in the summer.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
@ausdland -yeah those bumpers are not the sturdiest if I leave out in the house they get destroyed fast. It is just why I use it as a water toy. Max knows if he ruins it the games stops there so he carries it around in his mouth like it’s a baby puppy - very gently lol! THey are light anything else he would have no teeth left probably Lol! He likes to do searches in the water to and will not let it float away or go Unsearched. I think he prides himself in that. We did loose a bumper once maybe twice to the Atlantic Oceans of Long Island lol but never the bays. There are days that the water are crystal clear and even not as common green/blue and days they are dark. Truly beautiful beaches though.
Max in the milk shake - great day to hide his beloved toy. Lol!

·
Registered
7,399 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Datura - Florida water are absolutely gorgeous. I hope your friends dog is okay and gets out soon. Saltwater intoxication is dangerous and with a eager dog it is more so. Fresh water though is dangerous. With pools or fresh water lakes you still get- forget the name- but it is water intoxication to worry about just not salt. Every time a dog takes in water more then they produce it causes a great danger to the dog. That is why I mention anything anhthing that pools water . Oceans , pools , lakes all have different set of dangers that should be aware of. With that though anything incredible has its risks you have to be aware and be safe. Will love to see water photos! One of the favorite things to do with my dogs is to swim with them and cool off in the summer.
Yeah, he got out a few days ago. He is a working border collie, and he was going nuts being cooped up at the vets so long towards the end lol
After that I have been looking into water intoxication. I get worried about stuff with Dean really easily lol I was just stating that I don't have to worry about Salt water intake here lol
His recall isn't the greatest right yet, so he stays on a long line. I figure it will also keep him from going out to far and getting in trouble lol I am impressed with how well he has taken to the lake though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@ausdland -yeah those bumpers are not the sturdiest if I leave out in the house they get destroyed fast. It is just why I use it as a water toy. Max knows if he ruins it the games stops there so he carries it around in his mouth like it’s a baby puppy - very gently lol! THey are light anything else he would have no teeth left probably Lol! He likes to do searches in the water to and will not let it float away or go Unsearched. I think he prides himself in that. We did loose a bumper once maybe twice to the Atlantic Oceans of Long Island lol but never the bays. There are days that the water are crystal clear and even not as common green/blue and days they are dark. Truly beautiful beaches though.
Max in the milk shake - great day to hide his beloved toy. Lol!
He looks so happy <3
Dean can be a little rough on his toys. We're working on teaching him to be gentle with his softer toys, but he acts like he is going through a second teething phase. I have had to take away all soft stuffed toys, he has been using his back teeth to quickly chew off arms and legs, and tries to swallow them. I blame puberty lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
@Datura Sure! Glad your friends dog is doing well! Yeah max is on endorphin overload in that photo lol!! When I did the bark box those stuffed toys were also babied until they it was de stuffing time. The toys had smaller stuffed toys inside so the greatest surprise -better then any Cracker Jack box toy I would think lol!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts