German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 month male G.S. that is constantly water searching. He already gets 2-3 large bowls of water per day. He will take any opportunity to sneak into drink the toilet dry and the spends the next 48 hours with massive diarrhea and constantly peeing literally everywhere. It can’t be medical because we had another one a few years ago that did the same thing and they’re not related. What is going on? I’m sick of it.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
How long has this been going on? Have you ever restricted the dog's access to water. If so, that can cause this obsession with water. It can be fixed, but it takes a lot of time, patience and dedication to solving the issue.

This could also most definitely be a medical problem, like diabetes mellitus or maybe diabetes insipidus. The dog needs to see a vet as soon as possible.

Please don't restrict water if you don't know the cause of the problem and how to deal with it.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
One more for getting him checked out. Worth satisfying that as a possible cause before you go to non-physical possibilities.

Reactions: techinstructor

·
Registered
1,995 Posts

"Many conditions can lead to excessive thirst or dehydration in your dog, including diabetes, Cushing's disease, cancer, diarrhea, fever, infection, kidney disease, and liver disease,
Sometimes, however, it may not be the condition itself causing your dog's excessive thirst, but the medication used to treat it. Talk to a vet about your dog's medication and its side effects; if drugs are behind your dog's thirst, the vet may be able to lower the dosage.
Medication
Just as with people, some drugs can lead to excessive thirst in your dog, including:
  • Anti-inflammatory drugs like prednisone, which may be used to treat many conditions in dogs, including asthma, allergies, and inflammatory bowel disease.
  • Heart failure drugs, such as furosemide, lead to increased urine production and a compensatory increase in thirst.
  • Seizure medications like phenobarbital may have side effects that include excessive thirst and urination, as well as excessive appetite.
Diet
A dry food diet -- which may be as little as 5%-10% water -- can also lead to noticeable thirst in your dog. High sodium foods will also cause your dog to drink more.
Large amounts of salt can be poisonous to your pet, so avoid sharing highly salty "people" food with your dog. Signs your dog may have eaten too many sodium-rich treats include tremors, diarrhea, depression, and vomiting."

·
Registered
34,163 Posts
Or the drinking is because of the diarrhea, not causing it. The dog is dehydrated. Run a GI panel and see if the dog have a bacteria causing this. If it's a bacteria that is in your soil, that would explain two dogs having the same thing. Stress will cause excessive drinking, as an avoidance behavior, and will cause diarrhea.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Were both dogs eating the same food? If so, what kind? Seems highly unlikely that two unrelated dogs would have a medical issue causing this same unusual symptom. Seems like it could be environmental. Is your family drinking tap water? Ever have it tested?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 7 month male G.S. that is constantly water searching. He already gets 2-3 large bowls of water per day. He will take any opportunity to sneak into drink the toilet dry and the spends the next 48 hours with massive diarrhea and constantly peeing literally everywhere. It can’t be medical because we had another one a few years ago that did the same thing and they’re not related. What is going on? I’m sick of it.
It isn’t my toilet he drinks out of. It is my irresponsible teenager who drives me equally nuts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Were both dogs eating the same food? If so, what kind? Seems highly unlikely that two unrelated dogs would have a medical issue causing this same unusual symptom. Seems like it could be environmental. Is your family drinking tap water? Ever have it tested?
Different food for a different dog at a different house now.

·
Registered
347 Posts
This sounds like you are blaming the poor dog for drinking too much water and then making a huge mess. Something is dramatically wrong here. Please take your dog to the vet to make sure there isn't a medical cause, as most things that come to mind related to this are serious. If it isn't medical, then take control of the situation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts