German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear stories of (and have seen) dogs who are pretty much water hogs. I even knew a puppy who would drink water until she coughed it back up, and then drink some more. :sick: But my dog is a biiiit different, in that he won't drink unless he's ABSOLUTELY PARCHED, which is pretty inconvenient. He's been like this since he was a young puppy.

He's about 10 months old now. When he's up in the morning and it's time for breakfast, he'll take two sips of his water and nothing more, eat every last scrap of his food, and then it's time to play. By the time he's done playing, THAT is when he's slurping down his water-- but overall I fear he's not drinking enough during the day. Sometimes he will absolutely not drink when I really need him to-- say, right before a long-ish car ride, or right before OB class-- and then he's driving himself crazy in the store or car and I have to stop the car to get him a drink or pull him into the back to sip from the fountain. It's nuts. :hammer:

Is there a way to get him to drink more?

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
What are you feeding him? If you are feeding raw, he will get a significant amount of water in his food, and will typically drink less. If you are feeding kibble, you can add water before giving it to him, let it sit for a while until it gets mushy (absorbs most or all of the liquid) then give it to him. Other than that, I'm not sure, I've never had that problem!

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
My dogs are all rawfed and drink very little. I have a 2 qt pail and between the three only drink about half of that in a day. Summer they do drink more than winter months.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
What color is his pee? Just like humans, if it is very dark amber then he isn't getting enough fluids. Of course, other things can contribute but that is generally the case. If it is medium to light amber he is probably OK. Dogs have their own drinking habits. Some dogs tank up and go a long time in between, some spread it out more. Assuming that water is always available to him it is not likely he will become dehydrated. This also assumes he has been checked by a vet.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Your puppy sounds as though he is getting an adequate amount of water - for him. Each individual is different, and if his urine isn't an unhealthy color, and he has normal appetite and energy, I wouldn't worry about it too much. However, if you want peace of mind, take him to the vet and allow them to collect a urine sample (or you can do it yourself and take it with you) and have them do a urinalysis - just to make sure everything is OK.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just out of curiousity, did you regulate his water availability when he was a younger puppy during housetraining so he potentially learned that water wasn't always available when he was young so he had to take it while it was available thus learning to gulp more than sip?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just out of curiousity, did you regulate his water availability when he was a younger puppy during housetraining so he potentially learned that water wasn't always available when he was young so he had to take it while it was available thus learning to gulp more than sip?
The only time he was not allowed water during potty training was an hour before bedtime. Otherwise, water was always available to him. He doesn't gulp unless he was just exercising-- he will only sip water sparingly any other time. If there's a day where he gets only limited exercise, he will only go to the water bowl maybe twice a day for a few sips.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
He will drink when his thirsty. My dog Otto drink less in the winter month. Which yes I watch and wish he drank more.... Just make sure you provide water on a schedule just like you do his food. I cut off water and hour before bed...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts