German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I allow Alfie to drink water during playtime at the park? I strictly banned water from him when we're at the park because I was very concerned of the possibility of bloat. But then I called my vet and she told me not to worry about it and that I should allow him to have water and that because he is such a mixed breed that he wasn't susceptible to bloat in the first place. My vet is a great lady but now I'm confused. I thought most large dogs were at risk. Any advice on this please? Thanks :)

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
My vet said to give water, but not more than a cup.
When he calms down, he can have more.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Small amounts of water at a time should have no effect on bloat. It's when a dog is gulping down large amounts that you're concerned. Besides, having a dog playing around and exercising a lot, there are a lot more concerning issues I would be concerned about causing by AVOIDING water (heat stroke, dehydration, etc...)

As far as too mixed to bloat? While it's true I've never personally seen a GSD bloat or torse, I did see a GSD/collie mix die of GDV. ANY dog can bloat. Ask your vet to explain the dachshund we saw for a GDV.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't allow my dog to drink from the bowls at the
dog park. i buy bottles of water with the sport cap
so i can give him a squirt. after the dog park or a long
walk i give him a few squirts. when we get home he can
drink as much as he wants. after the dog park or a long walk
he'll drink water at home and settle down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts