German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 1/2 wo male, Nitro. He's been doing this since he was about 8 or 9 weeks. I got him at 6 weeks so Im not sure where he's developed this from as he didn't do this before. Basically, he tries to dig in his water bowl. I check it every couple of hours, and there's never anything floating in it, it's a clean metal dog bowl. I thought maybe he was just a water dog, until I got a kiddie pool. I've tried to acclimate him to it several times but he just won't have anything to do with it. He's okay with baths, very calm, but does not enjoy them by far. Any ideas as to why he does this? Is it the bowl? It's only ever filled halfway at most. Does your gsd do this as well?

Another question I have goes with training, but I thought I'd just throw this in here too. I've been training him to heel on walks. He already does this without a leash at home and around the backyard when I call him, I didn't have to teach him that. He also does very well on walks, already loose leash for the most part. Sits when I stop and looks at me, etc. the problem is, he switches sides. He's a great pup, very smart. He will be heel on my left, then cross directly behind me to be on my right. How can I train him to stay on one side?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow! You just described my pup perfectly. Had to laugh when I read this! I took her big metal bowl away and replaced it with a much smaller bowl. She knows digging in water is only allowed outside. That seemed to help. I too tried the kiddie pool and she only likes it with an inch or two of water she can splash around. I'm very interested in everyone's answers as to why this occurs too!!!

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Jonas did this for a little while when I got him. I just had to keep at him telling him no. He still loves playing in water, but he doesn't play with his drinking water anymore. THANK GOD :laugh:

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog did the bowl tipping. sometimes i would take his
bowl away. i use to have bottles of soda on the floor
beside the refrigerator. he use to knock the bottles
over. he would knock the bottles over and leave them
there. he never moved the bottles or destroyed them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think they just do it because it's so fun! My puppy did that for about 2 weeks, and then it just wasn't fun anymore, thank goodness. And maybe try luring to the left with treats in that hand? I'm the last person to give advice on heeling, though, we don't have that down just yet! I like to have Jedda used to "heeling" on both sides though ( I call it "walk right") because on bike trails I like to have her on the inside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Rebel is a splasher too but like your baby he refuses to play in a large amount of water. He's also picked up the habit of bringing me his water bowl if it's empty. I just chalk it up to adolescents. Children play in puddles lol. However, I do have a solution to your other problem. Rebel is in search and rescue training and the trainer told me to keep his leash to my side and keep it tight enough to make him understand his place is to my right. Not too tight as to choke. If Rebel tries to move to the other side, I simply tell him to sit and we start the process over. It took him about a week to get it completely down. Now I have no problem with this.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts