German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor BooBoo, never saw it coming. Or did he?
Gunner started playing with his stuffed animal with the water bottle inside one morning. He sat there for quite awhile, and all I hear is crackle crackle crackle. About 30 minutes later, I hear a much different crackling noise. So I look down and see pieces of chewed up water bottle all over the floor. Poor BooBoo had his head ripped open.

I didn't mean to hurt it, can I have it back?

As I was discarding it into the trash, he followed me and had his nose in the trash can. He looked so sad when I closed the door. He just sat there staring at the door for a few minutes, let out a huge sigh and laid down. :D

This is exactly why he doesn't get these type of toys unless supervised.
Stuffing filled chews are a no no in this house. I've seen him rip apart brand new stuffed animal toys in a matter of minutes. So I thought the water bottle toy was a safe bet.

For some reason he really likes to go for the jugular. :D

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I get the same reaction when I put anything he's destroyed in the trash.
I close the door to where the trash can is and he just stands there like "but...mom....".
He'll even occasionally go back to the door, look at it, look at me, back at the door. Like the poor toy needs rescuing.
I always feel bad.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have actually sewn the heads back on stuffed toys......:)
I have a frog that got a squeakerectomy last week waiting to be sewn up now....

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Wolfie still has his original stuffed toy, that I rubbed all over his mom so he would have her scent. He never rips his toys, but he plays with them every day. He has never ripped anything apart except for napkins. We all know my Wolfie marches to the beat of his own drum. LOL

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I always feel SO bad when I have to throw out a toy. They're like, "But mom.... that's MINE!"
Me too. My husband will usually be the one to finally throw the toys out, and I will try and talk him out of it! "But he still loves that toy and will be looking for it..." Never mind that he has tons of toys all over the place--

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have actually sewn the heads back on stuffed toys......:)
Oh yeah, been there, done that. It doesn't take long to un-stitch unfortunately.

I've given up on any stuffed chew because he'll rip it apart and de-stuff it in no time.
He has a few heavy canvas type ones that are still intact. His red ring has survived since puppyhood.

I thought the water bottle one would last cause I could just replace the bottle when it get's too old. I replaced the one it came with early on. He crushed it within a few days. I put a coke bottle in because it's sturdier.

When I took out the remainder of the bottle after he ripped BooBoo apart, it literally fit in the palm of my hand. It was crushed beyond recognition. :D

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He loves this stuffing free critter.

His name is Rocky (yes we name them and he knows their names :D).
He is so weird with this toy. He whines like mad whenever he picks Rocky up. I can't for the life of me figure this out.
He'll pick up Rocky, whine and go to the couch (still whining), drop Rocky and lay down.
Anybody have a dog do this?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think Rocky's name at our house is "Fuzzy Fox". And Osa knows his name too...... But her fave is FuzzyBun. When she goes in her crate at night she takes Bun with her and when she gets up in the morning, well, so does Bun. He goes to the vet with her and she lays with her head on him like a pillow. We tell her "Ok, go get Bun and let's go" and in 2 seconds she'll be back with him... :)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'm thinking of trying those bottle toys from HuggleHounds. They are supposed to be more sturdy... and you can replace the bottle if it gets crunched up.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm thinking of trying those bottle toys from HuggleHounds. They are supposed to be more sturdy... and you can replace the bottle if it gets crunched up.
I replaced the bottle a few times. I used a soda bottle because they are more sturdy than the water bottles. The water bottles got crushed in a day.

I'll have to look into HuggleHounds, never heard of them before.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rex whines when he plays with his toys too:crazy:!
But it's just that one, no others. Until he got it for Christmas, I had never heard him whine over any toy. :)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Wow, and I was really almost going to buy one of those bottle toys. Seeing that picture, I think I'll pass.

·
Registered
800 Posts
He loves this stuffing free critter.

His name is Rocky (yes we name them and he knows their names :D).
He is so weird with this toy. He whines like mad whenever he picks Rocky up. I can't for the life of me figure this out.
He'll pick up Rocky, whine and go to the couch (still whining), drop Rocky and lay down.
Anybody have a dog do this?
Maybe he thinks something is wrong with "Rocky"?! Look mom, it doesn't have any guts!

I gave Harley a water bottle about an hour ago, he is still playing with it! I'm going to look into the more sturdy stuffed waterbottle toy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts