German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a dog behavior question and hopefully,
will help.

The German Shepherd is mine. His name is Mac, he's 1 year, 1-month-old and has been neutered. The golden retriever is my roommate's. Her name is Sydney, she's 1 year old and has NOT been spayed. Mac has been trying to hump Sydney, as well as the other golden retriever in the video, although I don't have a video of that. This behavior started at the beginning of this week, so about 4 days. Because he tries to hump both females, I didn't think it was because they were in heat, although I guess it's possible they both could be in heat at the same time.

My question is, should I be correcting this behavior from Mac? Is he trying to mount her? Is it play?

I don't let my two GSDs have much contact with the retrievers, except for maybe a total of an hour a day where they can play around with them. I try to keep mine focused on me and separated from them. Our living situation is crazy, so I try to keep some control that way.

Anyway, enjoy the video ;) Let me know what you think I should do, if anything.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, @Steve Strom. He knows what "off" means and "leave it," so I will start saying that to him. I just wasn't sure if I needed to. Didn't know if it was a big deal or not. Thanks for the input :)

Also, any idea on why he's doing it?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I would also stop that behavior. He is being rude and pushy. I don't like that he barked at her after she was dismissive of the humping. It could be play in one moment, then turn into a fight the next, though I don't really see humping as play behavior. To me it's more about dominance and again, a pushy teenager.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, @Pytheis. I am new to this dog thing and don't fully understand dog behavior yet, so I didn't really know if this was normal, just play, or if I needed to intervene. I will definitely give him the "off" or "leave it" command.

Mac does that bark thing with his sister, Tasha, too when he's trying to play with her and Tasha maybe doesn't want to play. Should I correct the barking when he does that, too? I thought maybe he was just like, "Hey, come play with me. Why aren't you playing?" type thing. I'm trying to teach "quiet." Should I give that command in those instances too?
@Steve Strom, thanks for the clarification. I tend to ask "why" a lot of the time, just because I'm trying to understand behavior and correct. I guess I forgot he's still young and like a teenager. He's come so far that I forget LOL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts