German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going up to the Boone NC area soon and I'm wondering what the leash laws are up there? I read into it and from my understanding there isn't really a leash law but they will still try to fine you in state/ national parks? Anyone familiar with the area? I know of a couple good trails but they are usually pretty populated, any recommendations on trails?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
You'll be in m neck of the woods! Boone is only n hour or so away from me!

Beautiful hiking area. Not sure of the leash laws in that area, but I'd recommend a leash. Bear and wildcat abound, as well as LOTS o unruly dogs in the area.

We're going up to the Boone NC area soon and I'm wondering what the leash laws are up there? I read into it and from my understanding there isn't really a leash law but they will still try to fine you in state/ national parks? Anyone familiar with the area? I know of a couple good trails but they are usually pretty populated, any recommendations on trails?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll be in m neck of the woods! Boone is only n hour or so away from me!

Beautiful hiking area. Not sure of the leash laws in that area, but I'd recommend a leash. Bear and wildcat abound, as well as LOTS o unruly dogs in the area.
What no way you live there!!!? You are so lucky!! For sure some of the most beautiful hiking I've ever seen. I called Watauga county animal control and they said there are no leash laws, however some specific trails do have them so just look at the signs at the trail head. Gandalf doesn't chase critters and we use an e collar so I probably won't if it's allowed. I hope we don't run into a bear or wildcat or we would be toast lol.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am about an hour away, more in the flat land area. But we go to Boone each summer for our Bible retreat, and for hiking. Back when I had spare time, I was a hobbyist photographer, and I loved to photograph waterfalls and wild life. Cataloochee has an abundance of critters, and a drive through area where you can usually see bear, elk, deer, and turkey. Cades Cove is also a nice area, but can be pretty dense in bears and may have rattle snakes creeping about.

The trails to Crabtree Falls and to Linville Falls are gorgeous, ending in a breath-taking waterfall. We have had a lot of rain recently, so the falls will be especially gorgeous! I HIGHLY recommend that if you hike near a water fall, that you keep Gandalf on a leash. Several people have lost a dog to a quick current that threw them over the falls.

I also like the trails near blowing rock. Elk knob is a great place to visit. THe trials at Grandfather mountain can be difficult, IMO.

Be on the lookout for other people with dogs. Boone area dogs are notoriously spoiled! Have fun, I am jealous!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am about an hour away, more in the flat land area. But we go to Boone each summer for our Bible retreat, and for hiking. Back when I had spare time, I was a hobbyist photographer, and I loved to photograph waterfalls and wild life. Cataloochee has an abundance of critters, and a drive through area where you can usually see bear, elk, deer, and turkey. Cades Cove is also a nice area, but can be pretty dense in bears and may have rattle snakes creeping about.

The trails to Crabtree Falls and to Linville Falls are gorgeous, ending in a breath-taking waterfall. We have had a lot of rain recently, so the falls will be especially gorgeous! I HIGHLY recommend that if you hike near a water fall, that you keep Gandalf on a leash. Several people have lost a dog to a quick current that threw them over the falls.

I also like the trails near blowing rock. Elk knob is a great place to visit. THe trials at Grandfather mountain can be difficult, IMO.

Be on the lookout for other people with dogs. Boone area dogs are notoriously spoiled! Have fun, I am jealous!
Thank you SO much for the recommendations!! Oh blowing rock is so beautiful, I love all the little shops and then the huge water fall right near by! Last time we went up there before we had Gandalf my old dog had passed away.. I was really missing my dog and was looking for one.. and all of a sudden this gorgeous Bernese mountain dog puppy came running at me on the trail in the sunlight and played with us and gave us kisses I was in love thinking it was meant to be, my new dog!!! And then the owner showed up a few minutes later LOL! Yes for sure, I am worried about Gandalf going over a fall, he has no fear :| , we will only let him off on the trails we know well and without falls! He isn't used to any elevation since we live in FL. In all our years going up there we still haven't made it to grandfather mountain yet, ive heard great things about it! We've been to linville falls and the cave, and wow it was incredible. I can't believe the crazy people that jump off those high cliffs into the falls!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts