German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday night was cooler then normal. Hubby, Hondo and I sat out on the porch enjoying the evening. I decided it was a good time to play Hide and Seek with Hondo.

Because it is one of my favorite games, Hondo and I play it often. Normally, when he least expects it, I creep off and hide somewhere in the house. A short whistle starts the game and off he goes looking for me. When we are outside it is more difficult because he is more alert, with just the creek of my chair, he'll look over at me.

So, Friday night, I'd go into the house...and then sneak out the front door, run through the pasture, find a tree and whistle. Hubby would say, "Find it!" and off Hondo would go. But, Hondo, being able to match me in sneakiness, would listen for the door and I could barely get out the door and he'd be standing there.

So, I decided that I'd go out one of the bedroom windows. That would put me in a different pasture that he can access as it has a wooden fence. So out the window I'd go. I used to be an expert at sneaking out the window in my youth and never getting caught.....ok, almost never.

So out the window..through the fence...into the pasture...to the nearest tree....and start the game with a sharp whistle. I could hear Hondo's tags jingling as he searched for me. Giggling at my ability to out smart my dog, hiding behind a tree, it suddenly occurred to me that I really should be wearing shoes....and mosquitoe spray....and I prayed that the spider web I ran into going under the tree did not contain it's habitant....and what/who is that on the fence line? Is it just a shadow? And why do I have a stinging feeling on my knee?

Hondo found me, I knew he would. He came bounding through the pasture all proud of him self, and nearly knocked me down with his excitement. I glanced over my shoulder as we headed back towards the house and I saw the shadow on the fence line move. All kinds of thoughts of monsters went through my head as I decided a hasty retreat was in order, and calling for hubby certainly wouldn't hurt.

The next morning I could barely move. My knees refused to work, my feet were coverd in fire ant bites..somehow I got a large blood blister on the palm of my hand. I have a large scrap on my knee that I didn't notice till I started shaving my legs that morning. Ooowww.

But worst - my next door neighbor came by and spoke with hubby. Wanted to make sure everything was alright at our house. See, he happened to see me running and hiding from my dog last night in the middle of the pasture and was worried that I was afraid of the dog......

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Oh, I'm laughing and feeling bad for you at the same time! At least your neighbor didn't call Animal Control or the police.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I'm going to have to try hide and seek with Titon. Knowing how velcro he is to me, this might become a challenge for me.

At least you didn't get lit up with a spot light and scoped in the neighbor's rifle. That would have sucked.

I hate ants. I'll see one and feel one for weeks.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
:spittingcoffee:

OMG...thank you for the much needed laugh. Sorry it was at your expense, but man, I rarely laugh out loud and you got me on this one.

I hope the "scrapes and bruises" heal quickly and your neighbor has a short term memory problem.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly, I'm glad the neighbor just saw me running like a mad lady in the pasture. I don't know what he would of thought had he seen me struggling to get my big butt out of the window.

Hondo loves the hide and seek games. I'll have to figure out a way to hide from him with out doing bodily harm to myself!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Rofl!!!!!

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
LOL!!! I am laughing so hard! Sorry about all your injuries, though. I can just imagine what the neighbor thought!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
:rofl: Lillie I am sorry for your injuries and pain, but you and Hondo really do make me laugh :)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I'm curious, how exactly did Hondo find you? Tracked your scent or heard you giggling? Titon hasn't done tracking yet but he has a nose for finding things when we walk.

-E

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
I played that game with Karl when he was a pup. He would be in the house with DH and I would go outside and hide. I would go from one area of the yard to another and criss-cross my tracks. DH would open the door and say "Go Find ..." and off Karl would go with nose to the ground. Would not be long at all and there he would be wanting to play again.

We too did it at night but I wore shoes and left by a door. :D

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm curious, how exactly did Hondo find you? Tracked your scent or heard you giggling? Titon hasn't done tracking yet but he has a nose for finding things when we walk.

-E
I'd like to think he tracked my scent, but honestly, the giggling caused him to stop tracking and run straight for me. And he most likely saw me as well as I peeked around the tree. he only recently started actually using his nose on the ground. He will run around till he realizes that I'm not in the 'normal' hiding places, then get serious. Sometimes he'll find something a bit more interesting (like a pile of horse poop) and Hubby will have to redirect him, "Find it!". We only play alone when we are in the house. We have far too many distractions for him outside to trust that he'll find me before he finds something that he knows is a no-no.

I think I had more fun then he did Friday night. Running through the pasture hair blowing in the wind. Bounding over the fence (ok, I crawled through the fence). Racing like a deer to the tree, (ok, I looked and sounded more like a domesticated hog waddling for it's slop, huffing, puffing and grunting). But Hondo still thinks I'm wonderful, and we both enjoy it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.