German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had this e-mailed to us & wanted to share.............





This note below came to us this morning from one of our reps, Kimber
Lindeman. Please read and adhere.


'A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals' Proverbs 12:10


WARNING!
To all dog owners pass this on to everyone you can.
Last Friday evening, I arrived home from work, fed Chloe, our 24#
Dachshund, just as I normally do. Ten minutes later I walked into
the den just in time to see her head inside the pocket of Katie's
friend's purse. She had a guilty look on her face so I looked closer
and saw a small package of sugar-free gum. It contained xylitol. I
remembered that I had recently read that sugar-free gum can be
deadly for dogs so I jumped on line and looked to see if xylitol was
the ingredient. I found the first website below and it was the one.
Next, I called our vet. She said to bring her in immediately.
Unfortunately, it was still rush hour and it took me almost 1/2 hour
to get there. Meanwhile, since this was her first case, our vet
found another website to figure out the treatment. She took Chloe
and said they would induce her to vomit, give her a charcoal drink
to absorb the toxin (even though they don't think it works) then
they would start an iv with dextrose. The xylitol causes dogs to
secrete insulin so their blood sugar drops very quickly. The second
thing that happens is liver failure. If that happens, even with
aggressive treatment, it can be difficult to save them. She told us
she would call us. Almost two hours later, the vet called and said
that contents of her stomach contained 2-3 gum wrappers and that her
blood sugar had dropped from 90 to 59 in 30 minutes. She wanted us
to take Chloe to another hospital that has a critical care unit
operating around the clock. We picked her up and took her there.
They had us call the ASPCA poison control for a case number and for
a donation, their doctors would direct Chloe's doctor on treatment.
They would continue the iv, monitor her blood every other hour and
then in 2 days test her liver function. She ended up with a central
line in her jugular vein since the one in her leg collapsed, just as
our regular vet had feared. Chloe spent almost the entire weekend in
the critical care hospital. After her blood sugar was stabilized,
she came home yesterday. They ran all the tests again before they
released her and so far, no sign of liver damage. Had I not seen her
head in the purse, she probably would have died and we wouldn't even
had known why. Three vets told me this weekend, that they were
amazed that I even knew about it since they are first learning about
it too. Please tell everyone you know about xylitol and dogs. It may
save another life
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,138 Posts
Xylitol is in so many products now as a sweetner. So anyone who gives their dogs human sweet treat of any kind should be checking the label.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh good to know.

The only sweet treat I can think I give is, Mc D's vanilla ice cream !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,796 Posts
I've read warnings about Xylitol before and don't let it in the house. When I'm purchasing sugar-free products I always read the label and put back any product containing this sweetener.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
I have never heard of this but will be checking everything we eat for it just incase. If it does this to dogs can't be that great for us either. Thanks for posting this. Thank goodness that dog is okay.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top