German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being on this forum for about five months now, I see a lot of pictures of GSD's on the couch or hear of them sleeping in the bed. My 7 month old understands "off" but insists on trying to get on the couch to sit in my lap. I never had a problem with my Rotties staying off, and they were both "lap dogs." I know it sounds silly, but I think that GSD's just want to be on the couch. I'm serious! He gives me this look like, "Mom. I have[/] to be up here." I instantly tell him "off" and get him down. I'm not asking for advice on keeping him off (he'll get it eventually) I just thought it was funny. Maybe he's looking at the forums with me and saying, "Hey! He gets to be on the couch!" Haha!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
226 Posts
Same here!!!!! So many pics of them on couches, I was starting to think, " maybe throw away her bed on the floor and give up our 17 yr old couch"

Husband will absolutely never allow any pets in our beds or on couches.
Daughter and I will let Akira climb and rest on the couch, but then I think I'm setting her up to be scolded at when dad comes home.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The Hooligans let me sit on the couch :)

I banned dogs from the bed years ago when I ended up sleeping with all 7 of them and could hardly move ... have been much happier since then!!! However, Faith recently started sneaking up after I've fallen asleep ... she hasn't awakened me and I haven't said anything when I wake up.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I guess it only matters if you WANT them on the couch. We don't let our dog up on the couch unless we invite him. If he just does it, then we kick him off and claim the couch. If I invite him, then he gets to come up.

However, a warning here. If you don't crate at night and leave him/her to watch the house, don't be surprised when you come downstairs and find them sleeping on the couch. HAHA.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Hondo is a big, hairy GSD. He is cooler on the floor, so he doesn't insist on sitting on the furniture. But, he will lay where you'll fall over him if you try to sneak off.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
However, a warning here. If you don't crate at night and leave him/her to watch the house, don't be surprised when you come downstairs and find them sleeping on the couch. HAHA.
Haha! He would SO do that except I don't see him leaving my side of the bed. If I could get him to only come up when invited, I would let him up, but I don't think that would work well. ;)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i allowed my dog on the bed and sofa when i could give him a command
to get on or off the bed and sofa. i use "move over" when he's laying
on my spot on the sofa. when i say "move over" he doesn't jump off
the sofa he moves to the other end of the sofa so i can sit or lay down.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm sure we're role models of some sort:
Sparkles and her girl grabbing a nap on the couch:

Hawk and his girl in my bed:

And being the good fosters that we are we prepare our guests for their forever homes:
Gatsby, our first foster, a Dutch Shepherd. Had one of my friends not spoken up and been quite insistent I would have happily kept this guy:

Jasmine who I have no idea how she ended up in a shelter. My wife fell in love when we picked her up at the shelter. Again, we would have kept her but one of her students wanted to adopt her. Luckily we get to pet sit her occasionally:

Our last pair (just got them their forever homes) Franky and Ferris. I wanted to rename them Phobos and Deimos but couldn't get anybody else to go along with it:

So as you can see, we're not quite the orderly pet owners who keep things on the straight an narrow. However, the dogs all behave themselves and things in the house are to my liking. We're really excited about adding a GSD to this mix, should be very interesting.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I let the mutt monsters on the couch but ONLY when it's covered by an old sheet, which protects the fabric. We have an off-white couch and it's pretty new, so we don't want it TOTALLY dogged up yet. ;)

They know the difference. They stay off the couch if the sheet has been put away and they jump on it immediately if the sheet is there.

·
Registered
457 Posts
My dog and I have matching love seats Hers has a cover lol. Of course she has to move from wherever she is, if I say so. After all I am the queen of our castle, and she is only a princess.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I let the mutt monsters on the couch but ONLY when it's covered by an old sheet, which protects the fabric. We have an off-white couch and it's pretty new, so we don't want it TOTALLY dogged up yet. ;)

They know the difference. They stay off the couch if the sheet has been put away and they jump on it immediately if the sheet is there.
Lol! Same here. Jack prefers the cool tile floor, but Lillian (my Weim) is a snugglebunny. Just last week, I took a too-used blanket off the couch and put it in the wash. Didn't replace it with the next in rotation.

And felt like an idiot when I couldn't understand why Lillian stood there for five minutes at least with her steadfast "I'm Begging you!" stare and her "You're frustrating me, right now" vocalization.

She was just waiting for me to put a dog blankie over her end before she would jump back up and be my dedicated foot warmer ;) good girl.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Maggie just started this week to sleep more and more on the couch. Before she would lay on the floor where it was cooler. But now its its cooler at night and its more comfortable than on the floor. In fact shes on the couch as I type this. Here she is last week, I took this in the am after the morning potty. She fell right to sleep...this the best time I like her.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I let him up this morning just to see what he would do. He proceeded to lay in my lap and put his head on my shoulder. How can I say no to that? (I can't, but my husband will... Haha!)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Draven our Male LOVES to be on the couch... in his head... he doesn't stay longer than 5minutes but he gives the "eyes" to get up on the couch, and when we invite him (The only time he's allowed up) he runs like we have a bowl full of cookies.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I came home from work early one day and found my GSD curled up on the LazyBoy. He only did that when I wasn't home and never knew until that day.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts