German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! We're new. I adopted my girl, Indie, at 9weeks and she is now at about 6 months. Since I got her from a stray momma dog (who looked maybe about half gsd, half pittie or super mutt mix), we don't totally know what she is, but wisdom panel says 56% GSD and 26% Belgian Malinois most reliably. Anyway, she is generally one of the most mellow puppies I've ever met. Naturally, she just sits and watches everything happening, she digs but isn't trying to go to china, she barks but surprisingly little compared to the racket our older dog makes, doesn't destroy everything with her chompers, if I put her in our room for some down time she just plonks down, she's gentle and pretty calm, with the exception of squirrels, bunnies, and cats (we're working on it) which she likes chasing but not catching. But every evening from like 5 to 8pm, she has a lot of energy. It's like a flip switches in her brain from, let's play ball or else I'll go and lay down in the grass and watch the bees or chew on a toy or just stroll around and sniff to let's play VeRy DyNaMiCaLlY and constantly or else I will chew on the rug or dig up the poisonous plant bulbs or bark at the neighbor who's just trying to have a beer out back in peace.
Here's our schedule:
5am (a bad day, wake up)
6am(a reasonable day) she wakes up, and I let her out to the back yard, she is pretty calm until she starts coming to check on me over and over and this is when i know shes ready for a walk lol
Basically from
6to7am is a 30min walk, she sets the pace and I keep her off the asphalt mostly, then we play outside in the backyard with a ball or flirt pole, sometimes we do a brief training session.
7am breakfast
Until about 8 to 8:30am she just roams around and hangs out with our older dog, if they want to play, they do, if not Indie may need some more entertainment
8:30 -10:30 she'll naturally come in a decide to nap, at about 10:30 probably want bathroom break or a little toy sash
Things stay pretty chill til sometime between 12 and 2, at which point she gets another 30m walk, some play, and then a meal
In the late afternoon, early evening is when things get a little fishy
3-5pm things may be chill, things maybe teetering on the edge of chaos
5pm, pre-dinner walk, or play with ball and flirt pole/tug
6pm, dinner
6-7pm try to keep her engaged, find something for her to chew on, usually it's at about 7 that is see her personality change from I'm excited and want to play! To I've got crazy eyes, look at my crazy eyes, I dare you to look me in my crazy eyes, they're crazy. Let's get crazy, mom 馃敧! At which point she gets a chew and a time out, she'll bark a couple times and maybe scratch but in a minute I'll hear her plonk down in her favorite corner and when I check on her next she'll either be sleeping or patiently sitting inside the door waiting for me to open it.
8pm super short walk around the block
9pm time to sleep

I feel like something's missing for her to be satisfied, she is mostly an angel and I want to make sure I'm not subjecting her to boredom. But it really seems like a lot of exercise for such a young shepherd.
What she likes:
Walks
Chicken
Doing the dumb things mom asks so I'll get a treat, I guess, if I have to
What she loves:
The Ball, Chasing the Ball, Mom holding the Ball, running away from mom while holding the Ball, never bringing mom the ball
Running
The beach
Defeating the watering hose in war
PEOPLE

What she's unsure about:
Lavender bushes
New, very energetic dogs
Taking treats when things happen
Going pee anywhere but the back yard

What she hates:
The car

So she hates the car and doesn't wanna pee except in the backyard, so when I take her out she has a good time and then gets stressed and doesnt want to drink water or take treats because she'll have to wait to get home to pee....

I want to give her mental stimulation but she doesnt seem that interested in our sessions, even with high value treats... she'd rather go outside and play, and bounce around on those growing joints.

Wow so I rambled, advice?

Super Moderator
Thirty minute walks are not much more than a warm up exercise for a gsd. She's raring to go by the time you're winding down for the evening. Can you skip the five o'clock walk and then go out after dinner and let her run and burn off some energy? Try playing "two ball", which is throw one and when she circles back show her you have another one ready to throw. She drops the first to chase the second. Over and over....easy and fun.

Registered
Also, the evening zoomies is common. Literally every puppy I've ever seen gets that burst of energy most nights.

That being said, a couple walks a day and a couple short play sessions isn't much exercise for your puppy. They need time to run free and be a dog.

Reactions: car2ner

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very familiar with the witching hour, was hoping shed wout frow it soon tho 馃槄
Maybe I wasnt clear, she has pretty much free reign all day to do whatever she wants. What I wrote down is kind of her routine. If she wants to get up and play, or run around in the back yard, or whatever nothing is stopping her. Also, I have plenty of time to do longer walks if needed, just have been concerned that I might over exercise her, but I guess from what I'm seeing here so long as it's not high impact activity she needs more than the "5minutes per month of age at a time" that always pops up.

Also, is 30min a short play session? Really? For a 6month old puppy?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thirty minute walks are not much more than a warm up exercise for a gsd. She's raring to go by the time you're winding down for the evening. Can you skip the five o'clock walk and then go out after dinner and let her run and burn off some energy? Try playing "two ball", which is throw one and when she circles back show her you have another one ready to throw. She drops the first to chase the second. Over and over....easy and fun.
Two ball was a favorite when she was younger, still works. Might work to do the exercise post dinner, vs predinner, thank you for the suggestion.

Registered
Very familiar with the witching hour, was hoping shed wout frow it soon tho 馃槄
Maybe I wasnt clear, she has pretty much free reign all day to do whatever she wants. What I wrote down is kind of her routine. If she wants to get up and play, or run around in the back yard, or whatever nothing is stopping her. Also, I have plenty of time to do longer walks if needed, just have been concerned that I might over exercise her, but I guess from what I'm seeing here so long as it's not high impact activity she needs more than the "5minutes per month of age at a time" that always pops up.

Also, is 30min a short play session? Really? For a 6month old puppy?
I think that 5 minutes per month is probably a good metric if you're walking your dog, especially on hard surfaces. But at 6 months they can play and explore for hours!

You said she likes the beach, and that's the kind of exercise I was referring to, an adventure. New places to explore and run. Not longer walks.

My dog is now 5 yrs old, and she still gets the zoomies from time to time. They might grow out of it at some point, but you're nowhere near it yet at 6 months!

Reactions: burnitbirdy

Administrator
The Nerd Herder
This is Valor at 7 months. This is the kind of adventure that really satisfies a dog. He's working physically and mentally, learning impulse control and engagement, learning about slippery surfaces and having a great time with daddy.

A walk is just boring.

We do this kind of thing twice a day, rain or shine.

Registered
A walk is just stretching and warming up for a GSD< not to be included in number of minutes exercising.
If there tongues aren't hanging out from reasonable exertion, it's not enough.

Heads up brains working is just as important

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is Valor at 7 months. This is the kind of adventure that really satisfies a dog. He's working physically and mentally, learning impulse control and engagement, learning about slippery surfaces and having a great time with daddy.

A walk is just boring.

Thank you for the example, we did something like this this morning on a long lead and she did great. Found her own pace and followed her interest but still responded to me and stayed in orbit. Hurray. Agreed, walks are boring, for both of us tbh. She used to be very shy, so short walks were the only option, but shes doing great now, so more park and beach adventures 馃憣馃憣

Super Moderator

A walk is just boring.

I loved doing "urban agility" in little kid playgrounds. We had one nearby that was perfect, slides not too big, climbing wall doable, tunnels. We always waited until it was empty of children. Then someone complained that my dog was making the playground dirty. Next thing I know there are "No pets" signs up. Now we walk past the empty playground and sigh.
But if you find a nice playground that allows pets, try it out. We've really enjoyed them.

Registered
Trouble "Bailey" (27/01/2021) and his teenage handler
With my seven month old, we鈥檒l walk half an hour to the park, then let him run and play off lead for as long as he wants until he鈥檚 tired. Usually about an hour. Then we鈥檒l walk 30 minutes back home.

Bailey doesn鈥檛 really explore, and prefers to stay near by and play with our balls. Swimming also is very tiring

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts