German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dog has several issues that positive renforcement cant fix. And I bought an E collar for him and these are the behaviors I want either gone or controlled.

My guy is a rescue and was stray at some point in his life.

Aggression Towards Inact Males and Random Dogs
My boy tends to be aggressive towards most inact males due to having a history of being attacked by other dogs. He also doesnt like dominant dogs and certain breeds. I want to see if an E Collar can fix this.

Predatory nature towards Cats, Rabbits, Deer and other prey animals.
My guy tends to bolt on the leash even while wearing a prong collar whem he sees an animal that he can eat.

Not reliable off leash.
My guy has had a history of running off while being off leash.

Recall isnt 100%
While my guy does know how to recall, he wont do it if something has his attention.

I know several people will suggest a trainer, thing is, I dont have the money for the trainers that can fix his issues. They usually dont want anything less than a 1000 dollars. I’m a first time dog owner and wanna fix some of these issues.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The E-collar is a great tool only if used properly. Can cause damage, and confusion if not used correctly. It has to be used along with positive reinforcement. I have a 5 month old GSD that I just started with 3 weeks ago. We walk 2-3 miles every day off leash. I can place her on the other side of the field, and she will stay until I call her.

I mostly use just the vibration to get her attention when she doesn't do as she was commanded on something she already knows. I only go to the stimulation when she is throwing a puppy tantrum, fights through the vibration and just gives me the paw........ Or tries to run up to another dog to play. Right now we are learning to ignore other dogs, and people....

I have a 3 year old Pyrenees/Bernese mix that was a absolute nightmare until I started with the collar. Very reactive to dogs. He was attacked at the dog park when he was a puppy. Haven't been back to a dog park again. Big mistake!

After a well over a year of training, and a lot of advise from a professional trainer, I can now walk him fairly reliably off leash. If there is another dog in the area, I still grab the leash. He will never be perfect of course, but it is 1000% better than he was and always controllable. It is a 1/2 mile long leash.

Again, the most important thing is using it correctly. For that, it really would be in your best interest to get a trainer with the collar. I used Off Leash K9. They have trainers everywhere. The training comes with the collar. Don't buy the cheap ones..... My guy used to train GSD's for the Military. Absolutely awesome trainer. Your results may very......

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Those are alot of issues to fix as a seasoned trainer/dog owner, let alone for a first time GSD owner. If used improperly (bad timing, for instance), the ecollar with make things worse, not better. If you don't have a good collar, it is likely not going to be consistent, and result in difficulties.

How long have you had this dog? What basic obedience have you done? It all starts with that. The dog needs to understand that he does what he is told. Best way is to get a solid OB on him. As a result, he will understand that your word is THE word, and when you train recall from a distance, he will come when told just like he sits when told. He needs to understand he ALWAYS does what he is told. Then, anything else you want to train will be relatively easy. You are dealing with alot issues that if dealt with incorrectly, will result in a dog that is not safe. If your dog has aggression issues, he shouldn't be off leash, thus the recall is probably the last thing you need to worry about.

The aggression, and prey drive are not something I would try to address over the internet. But, there are plenty of videos on youtube that might be helpful.

The organization you got him from should be able to help you with training. Have you touched base them? I would add that these people should not have placed this dog with its issues in your home. You are inexperienced and you have way too many issues going on. To compound on that, you don't have the financial means to get professional help for the dog. I'm not judging, there aren't many people that can swing thousands of dollars to train a dog. Any rescue that does this, should be shunned.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
We need more info from you about your dog. How long have you had him? Where did he come from? What do you mean by 'rescue'? Was he re-homed or did you save him from drowning, abuse etc? What training sessions have you attended? Methods? You have many issues going on. How experienced are you in training?
For now: NEVER use an e-collar for dog aggression. He already doesn't trust dogs so if he gets zapped while looking at one, his associations with dogs gets worse.
From here I will suggest to not resort to an Ecollar (I agree with Eddie) until: 1. you have fully educated yourself on how and when to use it under the guidance of an experienced trainer, 2. get to the root of his issue, 3. relax and enjoy your new dog and take it easy.

·
Registered
813 Posts
What e collar did you get? If it’s the amazon special don’t even think about using it. If you don’t do this PROPER it could make things so much worse.

With proper timing and use the e collar could be a great tool for you. It has worked wonders for both of my dogs. It’s not about getting “zapped” for looking at another dog. It’s about communicating with my dog and stopping her before she makes a bad decision. If she does react she does get corrected.

I would absolutely consult a trainer if you don’t know what you’re doing. I spent months reading and watching videos.

·
Registered
31,465 Posts
My boy tends to be aggressive towards most inact males due to having a history of being attacked by other dogs. He also doesnt like dominant dogs and certain breeds. I want to see if an E Collar can fix this.
No, not without a trainer to supervise. The timing is critical and behavior modification with reward needs to be part of it. There is a reason the ecollar manuals say to NOT use it for aggression.

My guy tends to bolt on the leash even while wearing a prong collar whem he sees an animal that he can eat.
Yes. See Lou Castle "crittering"

Not reliable off leash.

Recall isnt 100%
While my guy does know how to recall, he wont do it if something has his attention.
Yes. But again, there is more training required to teach the recall in conjunction with the ecollar.

I know several people will suggest a trainer, thing is, I dont have the money for the trainers that can fix his issues. They usually dont want anything less than a 1000 dollars. I’m a first time dog owner and wanna fix some of these issues.
So here's the thing with trainers. It shouldn't cost you anywhere near $1000 to teach recall. You go, pay about $50/hr. Work on your thing. go back 2-3 weeks later. A little bit of good training is far better than lots of bad training due to lack of knowledge. Look for an AKC club near you. they typically have affordable classes.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
So my dog has several issues that positive renforcement cant fix. And I bought an E collar for him and these are the behaviors I want either gone or controlled.

Not reliable off leash.

Recall isnt 100%

How long have you been using the prong collar and did you learn from a trainer or on your own? My thoughts are this; If you have been using the prong collar for a while and are still having reactivity issues and bolting after critter issues while on leash with a prong, then you are mis timing the corrections, probably due to missing the preemptive body signals.

With all due respect, those two issues can be corrected with a prong. I'm talking from experience and I am a first time owner with a pretty serious and slightly nervy GSD. Timing is everything, owners ability to observe and interpret body language is critical and very good obedience is absolutely necessary. If you have not yet mastered those three components while you have been using the prong, then my advise is not to go near an e collar. You need to up his obedience and hone your own abilities.

It just seems like you are looking for corrective tool quick fixes but not investing time for training in your dog and yourself.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I have been using an e-collar for various training since 2001. It is a great tool, but the dog needs to understand the collar and how to turn off the stim. I would find a good e-collar trainer to work with who can help you.

I would not use an e-collar for this. Dog aggression is best controlled through obedience and not through punishment.

This is an excellent use for the collar, but, again, the dog has to understand the collar. Lou Castle was mentioned above. This is his website with articles and a forum. Good resource.
Home

Not reliable off leash.

Recall isnt 100%
This problem is often caused by allowing the dog freedom before it is ready. Again, this is a training issue. The e-collar can be used for this once the dog understands the collar. Do NOT allow the dog off a long line until it will reliably recall, even when using the e-collar, 100% of the time. You can make yourself a 50' long line if you want your dog to have a bit more freedom, but he must be on a long line.

Then, at the minimum, I suggest you read Lou's site. Without knowledgeable help you are likely to cause more issues than fix.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
The dog aggression I would seek out advice from a local qualified trainer. As per the e-collar. I agree with using Lou castle's site. It's a step by step system that produces good results. Just don't modify or skip steps.
http://www.loucastle.com/

·
Registered
855 Posts
I really like Lou's stuff. It's pretty clear, straightforward, and it works on teaching the dog that it has control while also improving reliability. The collar isn't what teaches the dog the command though, it just helps proof them IMHO. If your dog can't perform the behaviour prior to introduction of the e-collar, then I don't really think introducing it as a "fix-all" will help much, unless it's for safety reasons. And one thing I'm re-learning is that it isn't about stopping the behaviour per se, it's about encouraging a behaviour you do want so you can reward that one instead. One thing I'm working on and always learning is that there isn't room for "grey" in training dogs. It's black and white. Doesn't mean there's only one way to teach it, just means that when you ask a dog to do something, you're consistent every single time. Our dogs can only be consistent when we are. Chances are if your dog isn't responding to a prong correction, it's poorly timed or not effective enough.

When it comes to recall, I recommend giving this article a read: Head Underwater: Simple Tips to Achieving a Really Reliable Recall | The Collared Scholar. It puts it into really great perspective on how to train it.

Reactions: car2ner

·
Registered
27 Posts
Before you start using the ecollar, train his recall with a long line and then you can integrate ecollar training 'With' the long line recall. Make sure your dog knows what it is youre asking of him.

With small animals problem, you can teach the leave it command. Look up and use a flirt pole to satisfy his prey drive and train him while using it to leave it until you give the okay command.

I dont think the ecollar alone will help your problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,010 Posts

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
We could have predicted every problem you are having based on your thread last year about putting your dog into situations where he had to defend himself. Now you have a fearful, reactive dog and don’t have the money for training. I don’t have any advice for that situation. An collar is only as good as the handler. If you aren’t able to read your dog’s signals and stop him before he reacts, you will not be able to correct it and an ecollar will make him worse.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

Not reliable off leash.

Recall isnt 100%

Keep in mind these are all things that are not dependent on using e. You need to consider that, because if these are things you haven't had experience with training and you think e is going to just magically fix something, you could easily make them all worse.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I'd recommend you get a slip lead or "dominant dog collar" rather than a prong.

Teach the dog the language of "agree" with that behavior "disagree" with this one. Lots of people call it leash pressure or leash communication- whatever they call it the idea is the same. Work on controlling the dog's arousal level. Reward the dog for calm behaviors.

I use e-collar as a punishment once a dog knows a behavior. I also use e-collar to stop a dog from chasing prey. Once I've proofed the behaviors, I rarely need to actually use the collar. I do use the e-collar a bit differently than some, as I go to the level the dog needs at the time to stop or correct a behavior- I don't really do low-level work per se, or worry about numbers. I watch the dog, gauge a situation, and react. I also make sure to match a verbal cue to the correction (yes, no) but not always - particularly if the dog is starting a chase.

E is a nuanced subject, and best done in coordination with an expert. A single intro to collar session should only run $100, with another follow up another $100. If you do the work suggested, and find a good expert trainer to work with, it won't break the bank.

Decide what behaviors you want to train. Work on them consistently and clearly without the e-collar, and then go to e if you still feel you need it to proof. It is the best tool for off leash reliability. On leash, I don't really see the point except under certain, specific scenarios.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd recommend you get a slip lead or "dominant dog collar" rather than a prong.

Teach the dog the language of "agree" with that behavior "disagree" with this one. Lots of people call it leash pressure or leash communication- whatever they call it the idea is the same. Work on controlling the dog's arousal level. Reward the dog for calm behaviors.

I use e-collar as a punishment once a dog knows a behavior. I also use e-collar to stop a dog from chasing prey. Once I've proofed the behaviors, I rarely need to actually use the collar. I do use the e-collar a bit differently than some, as I go to the level the dog needs at the time to stop or correct a behavior- I don't really do low-level work per se, or worry about numbers. I watch the dog, gauge a situation, and react. I also make sure to match a verbal cue to the correction (yes, no) but not always - particularly if the dog is starting a chase.

E is a nuanced subject, and best done in coordination with an expert. A single intro to collar session should only run $100, with another follow up another $100. If you do the work suggested, and find a good expert trainer to work with, it won't break the bank.

Decide what behaviors you want to train. Work on them consistently and clearly without the e-collar, and then go to e if you still feel you need it to proof. It is the best tool for off leash reliability. On leash, I don't really see the point except under certain, specific scenarios.
Hello @Muskeg! You said you proof the behaviors. Can you please tell me how that is done with the e-collar? I have searched YouTube for training videos on how to "proof behaviors" and have seen the term thrown around in other videos, but have found no real "here is how you proof a behavior" video. I have a 14 month old who knows the commands but seems interested to obey them only when his ball is in the mix for a motivator. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you ?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hi- for me, proofing means making sure the dog follows a known command under any circumstance. Could be distractions, location, or even time of day. The goal is to make it clear to the dog that, no matter the scenario, a command is not optional.

For example, working with a pup, I'll start her training on a field with no distractions. I won't ask much of her aside from engagement and basic commands. Keep it really fun, even use food. As we continue training, I'll probably keep the location the same, but start adding in some mild distractions, and then corrections to make it clear the commands are non-optional. Once she is performing well in low-distraction environments, I might take her to the edge of a busier area (parking lot, park) and work on commands there. Then on up to busy downtown.

The e-collar is layered in very early, in the low-distraction environment, as a correction, linked with the verbal "no" marker, for failure to follow a command. In a higher distraction environment, I may turn to e-collar level up, because the dog is more distracted- this is very dog-and scenario variable. I generally try to set the dog up to succeed, so I don't tend to have to correct a dog much in a high distraction area, because by then the dog is fairly well proofed to distractions.

The point of proofing is to practice a command in many environments and under many distractions so the dog generalizes the command and realizes that under an circumstances it is non-optional. And so the dog realizes there are always consequences for failure to comply.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts