German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my 4month old GS some hip xrays just to see the status of them while she is young. The doctor noticed some sensitivity on her right hip as he rotated it , she would whine alittle. When he rotated the left one she wouldn't mind. As you can see in the xray, her right hip is a tad bit more out then her left one. He said the hips looks overall in good shape but he has concerns for the right hip and should get more xrays in 6 months. I personally think she will grow out of it but do you guys think this should be any type of concern at this point ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
I'm no medical expert but Gsds aren't done growing and changing until 18months - 2years.Unless she's having problems I would just wait until she's mature.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm not intending on having my puppy's hips/elbows checked till she is 2 years old. Not going to risk something or someone hurting her still growing bones.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Too early for X-rays they are still growing. Best to do is prelim X-rays at a year final at 2. That is what I’ve always done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I went in as a precautionary measure because I know alot can be done in the early stages of hip dysplasia and I noticed some bunny hopping when she gets excited. There was not a specific reason of why he recommended xrays but once he saw the sensitivity in the right hip he said xrays is the only way to get a for sure answer if weather anything has to be done now

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
don't touch those hips !!

growth plates are not closed yet

bunny hopping ? how does a dog move? there is more than one gait .

send that digital x ray to the breeder --- they will have a good idea

want a professional comment send the plate to ofa .

there is wise caution in breeding , feeding and management - but some of this
worry about hips borders on hysteria.

the GSD is not near the top of hip dysplasia , I believe between 8th and 10th position - but you don't have this worry in the other breeds

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Where did this idea of bunny hopping = hip dysplasia come from?
Puppies of every breed bunny hop... its the way they run.
Even adult dogs will bunny hop when running around being silly or excited.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Bunny hopping is more often due to overangulation of the hind legs, not dysplasia. It often goes away/gets much better as the puppy grows and develops.

Here's what bad hips look like. These are from a 2 year old dog, so you won't see the lines of the growth plates that show in your dog's x-ray:

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for your inputs . The overall concesus is that she is too young to get an accurate evaluation . I appreciate the new knowledge I now have . For the people asking where the bunny hopping thing came from, I researched how dogs with hip dysplasia walk and run and all of the videos showed them bunny hopping, but they also said the dogs always bunny hop up the stairs , Cali does not do that. Anyway, I will keep posting random pics of her being that she is my first dog and really excited to have her!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts