German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Diesel is just a few short days away from coming home. My biggest fear is his prey drive. Being that he was in a high kill shelter there was no real way for me to test him so I rolled the dice and saved him anyway. I was able to talk the shelter manager into walking him through their cat room to see if he would lunge at the cats cages, he was being really reactive and "bouncy" not all that interested in the cats. I was told one cat hit their cage door and hissed which resulted in him jumping behind the kennel manager in fear. I plan on gating off my upstairs from him and putting my cats behind closed doors while he is free range at first. When he is in his kennel I will allow my cats down to investigate him at their own discretion. My cats do not fear dogs at all. They actually sleep with my dogs daily and bathe one another. Any other suggestions? It would be different if he was a puppy but he is just shy of 2 in the opinion of the vet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm sure you've searched on dog/cat intros, there is tons of excellent advice.

My best piece of advice is to GO SLOW. And dont ever let the dog chase the cats, ever. Keep it all calm and happy treat treat treat. And never force anything, and always be on your toes. It can all work out, but takes time and patience. :)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
What a nice little family you HAD there....just kidding. Take it slow. Lots of it will depend on the cat. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What a nice little family you HAD there....just kidding. Take it slow. Lots of it will depend on the cat. Good Luck!!
HAHAHAHA And only one of my cats is pictured in there. The other is camera shy :) But just as friendly with the dogs. They dont run from the dogs, which is my biggest fear. The roll over and lay on their backs. They know no other way... Even when friends bring their dogs over they still just lay around don't run away or try to hide. Its their house and we are all just guests who scoop their poop, feed them, and give them a warm body in bed... And the weirdos both play with dog toys :crazy:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have 5 cats and one of them thinks he's a dog, one of them won't let the GSD near it...that turns into a bark "attack", she can't understand why the cat don't like her:confused: But he doesn't hide, he will walk right past her and just taunt her and the GSD backs down. One of them she doesn't bother with at all. Two of them she chases one minute and is letting the cat sleep with her the next:crazy: I have never been afraid that the GSD will hurt any of them, everything she does is playing and it really is. None of my cats will hide, they all are out and about and all of them sleep with her at some point.

·
Registered
283 Posts
When I asked this same question I was told cats make great squeaky toys :eek::eek:.

Emma first chased my sons cat and barked her head off. Its now to the point they can almost walk by each other without a swipe. Emma now just wants to play, while Hubbs (cat) does not.

I'm not and expert, but I started out with Emma on a leash, until I knew what would go on and to control the chasing.

So for now Hubbs has the upper paw, but I expect them to be playing within a month. Hubbs used to play with my Golden Retriever and they would sleep together outside in the dog house sometimes. After my golden passed, Hubbs became more territorial of the house, so sharing with a new land shark was a bit of a problem for him;):crazy::laugh:

I would say go slow and be sure both have an out (safety zone) to go to when they meet. That has seemed to work for Hubbs and Emma.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts