German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need good advice from those who know best.....GSD owners! My 18 months old GSD does not seem to be tolerating his raw food anymore. He is so picky and won't eat it unless I add something extra like scrambled eggs or chicken, and even then it is hit or miss. He does have acid reflux and I have had him on Prilosec for the past month on the advice of my vet (this is my second GSD with digestive issues). I'm sick of worrying about whether or not he will eat the food and the pre packaged raw stuff is expensive. I want to try and switch to dry kibble in hopes that his appetite and digestive problems will improve. Any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
I need good advice from those who know best.....GSD owners! My 18 months old GSD does not seem to be tolerating his raw food anymore. He is so picky and won't eat it unless I add something extra like scrambled eggs or chicken, and even then it is hit or miss. He does have acid reflux and I have had him on Prilosec for the past month on the advice of my vet (this is my second GSD with digestive issues). I'm sick of worrying about whether or not he will eat the food and the pre packaged raw stuff is expensive. I want to try and switch to dry kibble in hopes that his appetite and digestive problems will improve. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Have you ever tried a digestive enzyme and a probiotic instead of the prilosec?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Do it! I have been all over the spectrum on feeding, from bargain basement grocery food when I was a kid to rabid ALL RAW to no grain to, finally, a balanced feeding plan. I feed kibble (Kirkland Chicken & Rice and ProPlan Sport mixed) with raw chicken bits and the occasional kefir, yoghurt, or egg. I know there are a LOT of 'raw advocates' here and there is nothing wrong with it; it's just too expensive, too bulky, and too time consuming for me and the results I got with all-raw are exactly the same as I'm getting with a kibble-based diet now. I save a ton of money, my dogs still look great, and it's so much easier when going on vacation or to shows to pack up kibble than try to negotiate packing 20lbs of meat in a cooler and crossing my fingers that it doesn't go off while we're on the road.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts