German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you research the meaning of your dogs name before you named him/her? I did not think about the meaning of Brutus' name before we named him, my hubby fell in love with our dogs grandfather when we went to pick up our puppy from the breeder, and so we named Brutus after his grandpa. Then one day a neighbor was walking with her daughter, and she asked me what my dogs name was. When I said Brutus, her little daughter said, "Mommy, why did they name him that name for, a Brute isn't nice." LOL, well I knew a Brute was like a rough, pushy person and that is my dog alright, but I didn't know that it meant stupid. I knew what Oso's name meant though before I named him.

If you want to know what your dogs name means then follow this link-What does your Pet Name Mean?

Afterwards, share the meaning with us, and also let us know if you knew the meaning prior to naming your dog.

·
Registered
839 Posts
From what I've read....Brutus is a version on Bruno.
Bruno in German means "Brown one" In Austrian it means "Armour"

But most people assocaite the name Brutus with Julius Caesar.
The phrase Sic semper tyrannis! ["thus, ever (or always), to tyrants!"] is attributed to Brutus at Caesar's assassination. The phrase is also the official motto of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar depicts Caesar's assassination by Brutus and his accomplices, and the murderers' subsequent downfall. In the final scene, Marcus Antonius describes Brutus as "the noblest Roman of them all", for he was the only conspirator who acted for the good of Rome.
Here's the wiki page that list more about Brutus.
Personally, I think it's a fine, strong name.
Marcus Junius Brutus the Younger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've always been facinated by names and their meanings. Weird b/c my kids/dogs have very common names.:D

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Shasta was named after a soda brand i love which i later learned was named after a mountain.

Riley came with the name Railey and we dropped the 'a' because Riley sounded better. Zena came with the name Zenia and we dropped the 'i' because i didnt like her named after a flower. Plus she didnt know her name anyway since a shelter worker named her. She's definitely like the warrior princess though so it fits nicely.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Scamp was named well we thought he wasn't going to be as big as he is and he used to scamper around.. lame but still suits him
Tux due to being black with a white patch on his chest and if i let hubby come up with a name well he would be doggy
Boone means good and his registered name is boone's saint.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Einstein

Meaning: For the pet who is a genius

Famous Usage: Scientist Albert Einstein (1879-1955) German born scientist famous for his theory of relativity.

Screen Details: Dog owned by the mad scientist in the movie "Back to the Future" (1985).

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Ciana is the only dog that I named. The others came with their names.

Doerak

A common pet name in The Netherlands:
Dutch To English - doerak
n. rascal, villain, scoundrel, rogue; mischievous person or animal

Ciana

Its source is Luciana, an Italian name meaning "Light". Also a feminine version of "John".

Balto

English: God or Lord Protect the King
Short for Balthazar

Boaz

Biblical (2)

1) Boaz is the name of the left of two pillars in Solomon's temple; the right pillar is named Jachin (1 Kings 7:21).

2) The most famous Boaz is the son of Rahab and the wealthy beaux of Ruth, eventually the father of Obed, the father of Jesse, the father of King David (Ruth 2:1). Boaz and Ruth are possibly the most delightful couple in the Bible. Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names notes somewhat melancholically, "By obligations of the Levitical law, Boaz became Ruth's second husband. There is great sweetness in the character of Boaz, and also of Ruth."

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Shenzi means 'barbarous, uncivilized, uncouth' in Swahili.

When we took her to the vet for the first time and told the DVM her name, he laughed and asked us if we knew what it meant. We told him thats why we picked the name, and he said 'well lets see if she lives up to it' and the exam went perfectly :)

I couldn't give the dog a new lease on life and keep her old name, 'scooby'.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Katya: Russian/east german diminutive of Katherine
Beschützer des Jägers: Basically "guardian of hunter"

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Gnash, G litter so needed a name starting with G. During puppy selection tests he latched onto the rag and held it the longest even when lifted off his feet therefore "Gnash"

Creasy, C litter boy so needed a C name. Breeder (and friend) named him after John Creasy from the movie "Man on fire" :)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Wife named Abby after the techie in NCIS, she just liked the character and the name.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Sin·is·ter

threatening or portending evil, harm, or trouble; ominous: a sinister remark.

2. bad, evil, base, or wicked; fell: his sinister purposes.

3. unfortunate; disastrous; unfavorable: a sinister accident.

4. of or on the left side; left.

5. Heraldry . noting the side of an escutcheon or achievement of arms that is to the left of the bearer ( opposed to dexter).

Mal·ice

desire to inflict injury, harm, or suffering on another, either because of a hostile impulse or out of deep-seated meanness: the malice and spite of a lifelong enemy.

2.Law . evil intent on the part of a person who commits a wrongful act injurious to others.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My husband had already picked out the name Jäger, months before we had even decided that we were getting a GSD. it's a German for "Hunter"

except that now everyone thinks we named him offer the liquor Jagermeister. My husband always gets frustrated. Ha.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Otto

Meaning: Wealthy prosperous man
Famous Usage: The regal name of several German emperors.
Screen Details: Character in "All Dogs go to Heaven" animated film (1989)

·
Registered
161 Posts
The shelter I got Sadie from named her Sahara. Cool name, but me being a huge Beatle fan I changed it because I love the song "Sexy Sadie". Took her only a little time to learn her new name.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hamlet (1996-2008) was named after (you'll never believe it ;)) Hamlet, from the play Hamlet.

Current dog is Hotspur, named after (wait for it...) Hotspur, from Henry IV Part 1.

We just liked the names. The dogs didn't and don't really resemble the characters in any way.

Hotspur has always been relatively submissive, leading us to give him a somewhat ironic nickname "Chutzpah", which nearly rhymes if you pronounce it accurately.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts