German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's no secret that I love taking pictures of my dog.

However, I'm looking for that special portrait for my wall.

I took this photo about a month ago. I played around in Photoshop, and came up with this.

Frame it?

Yes or No?

I only ask because I may prefer that she face a bit more frontal.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
It would be hanging on my wall if that were my dog. :)
Ditto, I love it :) Also I like how its not a total frontal shot but you can see most of her face including her other eye so its not like its purely a profile of her...

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Ok- this is going to sound funny, but... I think my dog's best photos are just like this one: of her looking off somewhere else. She's kind of camera sensitive (seriously!) and doesn't like looking at the camera. When she does, she often holds her ears weird or does other slight mannerisms that I find a bit quarky. But when she's looking off into the distance like this photo, I find that she looks alert and awesome- just like a GSD should. So I like this pose...

[EDIT]- "quarky" meaning that she does something to hold in face in a way that doesn't look like how she normally holds her face. It's kind of hard to describe, but I end up looking at the photos and think "dang Pimg, why are you doing that?" I end up choosing photos of the same pose (whatever the pose is) but with her looking off into the distance.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok- this is going to sound funny, but... I think my dog's best photos are just like this one: of her looking off somewhere else. She's kind of camera sensitive (seriously!) and doesn't like looking at the camera. When she does, she often holds her ears weird or does other slight mannerisms that I find a bit quarky. But when she's looking off into the distance like this photo, I find that she looks alert and awesome- just like a GSD should. So I like this pose...
LOL... Very true.
No secret that dogs feel uncomfortable with a camera in their face.

For that reason, most of my pics of her, are taken with a long zoom lens.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Hope you don't mind the addition of photos in your thread, Anthony- just wanted to demonstrate my point.

I really wanted this to work out:

But ended up choosing this one of the same pose where she's looking away.

Her head's up, her ears are forward, her eyes are intense... When I asked her to look at me, she changes all that! Her ears do weird things, her head lowers, her eyes are saying "I hate picture time" LOL!!

I think your head shot of your dog (Kira, right?) is very similar. Ears forward, strong gaze, head up, etc. I like it. And if she's anything like Pimg, she won't have quite that "intense" look when she turns towards the camera. I say your photo is a keeper!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Yes

I like the profile and her expression, really nice photo :)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Frame it and hang it!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope you don't mind the addition of photos in your thread, Anthony- just wanted to demonstrate my point.

I really wanted this to work out:

But ended up choosing this one of the same pose where she's looking away.

Her head's up, her ears are forward, her eyes are intense... When I asked her to look at me, she changes all that! Her ears do weird things, her head lowers, her eyes are saying "I hate picture time" LOL!!

I think your head shot of your dog (Kira, right?) is very similar. Ears forward, strong gaze, head up, etc. I like it. And if she's anything like Pimg, she won't have quite that "intense" look when she turns towards the camera. I say your photo is a keeper!
Don't feel that you hijacked the thread.

Photography and Kira... Pick your poison :)

Yep... Sign of stress.

This is explained in the book "Calming Signals". They describe this exact behavior.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think this is an amazing shot! Very nice. I don't personally hang my children on the walls (furry or otherwise, lol) but if I had to have one on the wall I wouldn't hesitate to choose one like this. :)

·
Banned
363 Posts
That's a beautiful picture and if it were of my dog, I'd most definitely be framing it and puttng it on my wall!!!!!!

Simply beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
It's no secret that I love taking pictures of my dog.

However, I'm looking for that special portrait for my wall.

I took this photo about a month ago. I played around in Photoshop, and came up with this.

Frame it?

Yes or No?

That is an awesome shot. Heck, It might need to be copywrited or you may run across it for sale somewhere.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It is a very nice shot and would look great on the wall BUT i kind of get where you are coming from in regards to her looking just a little more square on......still looking away but getting more of her other eye/side of her face IMO would be better but this would still hang very well.:)

·
Registered
423 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts